Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asus Eee 1201n Microphone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Asus Eee 1201n Microphone

Quote Originally Posted by temporos View Post
    Unfortunately, neither of these solutions worked for me. I can record sounds in the "Sound Recorder" application, but not in Skype. I tried using the PulseAudio and GNOME ALSA Mixer, but neither worked. Any other suggestions?
    Try this. Try this. Use a terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"
    Enter these commands, one line at a time:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r)
    Reboot.

Beans

The original solution worked for me as well, but I had to have GNOME Alsa Mixer installed as well. Random, but at least it's working now. Sheesh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yeah, I still can't get it to work. Since the only application for which the mic won't work is Skype, I'm just going to dump Skype and try Google Talk on Empathy instead... It can do video chat, right?
    T

Beans
    Distro

What version of skype are you using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    What version of skype are you using?
    Skype v2.1b2. It was the only version available on their web site when I downloaded it a few weeks ago.
    T

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Asus Eee 1201n Microphone

Quote Originally Posted by hsoulen View Post
    Sure man, hope this helps:

I am not sure of your level of Linux experience so don't take any offense if these instructions are too verbose.

1) Open Synaptic Package Mananger from System->Administration
    2) Search for a package with a name like "linux-backports-modules-alsa-karmic-generic" (it will have the name of your distribution, karmic if you have 9.10, lucid if you are running the 10.04 LTS Beta etc.) and mark it for install
    3) Still in Synaptic, search for a package called "pavucontrol" (PulseAudio Volume Control) and mark it for install as well
    4) Hit "Apply" and after the packages have downloaded and installed, reboot linux
    5) Once you log back in, go to Applications->Sound & Video and run "PulseAudio Volume Control"
    6) Click the "Input Devices" tab and you will see your mic but it will have two channels (stereo) a Front Right and Front Left. Well this is just plain wrong! A mic is a mono device, so go ahead and set that Front Right slider all the way to "Silence" (you can leave Front Left at about 80-90%)

Exit PulseAudio Volume Control and you should now have a working mic in all applications including Skype if you use it.

Cheers,

Hank
    Thanks man! it worked like a charm! great howto.
    Linux Counter #382246 -

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This does work for me on my EEE PC 1201n. However, about 15 seconds into any conversation the left channel goes back to 100% entirely on its own. It also resets itself to be locked with the right channel. I've tested this in both Ubuntu 10.10 and Linux Mint with the same results.

Interestingly, if I use a Bluetooth headset I end up having the same issues about 15 seconds into any conversation whether it be on Skype or Google Talk.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
    This does work for me on my EEE PC 1201n. However, about 15 seconds into any conversation the left channel goes back to 100% entirely on its own. It also resets itself to be locked with the right channel. I've tested this in both Ubuntu 10.10 and Linux Mint with the same results.

Interestingly, if I use a Bluetooth headset I end up having the same issues about 15 seconds into any conversation whether it be on Skype or Google Talk.
    Have you disabled the skype setting to allow it to control levels?

Beans

Hello.
    I've tryed all the sollutions without success.
    I can record soud but the mic dont work on skype or gtalk
    I'm running in a 11.04 ubuntu.
    Anyone can help-me?
    Sorry for my bad english

Beans

Exclamation Re: Asus Eee 1201n Microphone

I had the same microphone issue in skype on ubuntu 11.04. however, i could not apply the fix because no left/right channels were shown for the microphone. they do exist. until i chose to 'show all except monitors', however, i could not see them. THIS FIX WORKS IN UBUNTU 11.04 TOO but it seems pulseaudio volume control interface has been reworked from previous major release. hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast