Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HDD bad sector after 9.10 installation...

Beans

HDD bad sector after 9.10 installation...

Hey ,

I just installed ubuntu 9.10. After installation I got a message saying that there are bad sectors on One or Many harddrives.

The Palimpset Disk Utility app, gives me a warning with ID '197' and attribute Current Pending Sector Count.

I never had any issues with my harddrive when using 9.04. Could this be a bug or something?

PS: Have installed 9.10 twice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HDD bad sector after 9.10 installation...

same problem here! installed RC ubuntu 9.10 and got a bad sector message, something which i never got with 9.04

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

same problem here.... palimsest said my disk has many bad sectors

ATA Hitachi HTS542512K9SA00

Beans

You all be careful. 9.04 didn't have the same disk utility, 9.10 has it exactly to warn you about a possible disk failure. Probably you should consider backing up your data an running disk checks.

Beans

Just try and do a disk check with another tool, preferably outside of any OS. I just installed Ubuntu in another PC and I'm getting those errors too, and tho they are probably true, I've read in this forums that the disk tool is giving some false information. So in my personal opinion it's better to sun an OS independent tool to look for error and try to fix it. Tho if they are hardware bad blocks you'll better star backing up your data. Last time i chose to ignore the warning i lost 120GB of work!

Beans

Hey Samuraitor.
    Myself Millermccullum and I read your entire posting. Welcome to the forum Samuraitor. First you should have to take advise from the hard drive repairing expert. If it is ok then you may consider this problem as bug. But you should have to pay attension to this problem. Anyways Thanks. Stay Connected.

Beans

I too was informed by Disk Utility that "Disk has many bad sectors", right after upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 (final). With 9.04 it was ok...
    Hope these are false alarms ))

Beans

Same thing is happening with me. I really don't want to have to replace the hard drive on my laptop. I don't have the money to do it right now, and not having a laptop would be really crippling :/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Booted the LiveCD of 9.10 final and got this as well. I don't get it with the 9.04 install though, and have Win7 on another partition. I have tried getting sector errors on that partition but haven't found anything. Could be false reporting, at least I hope.

Beans

Hey everyone
    I'm having a similar problem here. Right after my upgrade to 9.10 Ubuntu gives a warning (ID 197) for bad sectors on my HDD (ST9160821AS). But...
    - checking trough my windows partition (chkdsk) results in no problems found.
    - the value for "current sector pending count" is -1. I would understand anything above zero but a negative value????

Help from anyone?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast