Thread: Thinkpad 600x

Beans

Thinkpad 600x

Hey everyone. I'm completely new to ubuntu and trying to get an old Thinkpad 600x to work. I have a few problems however. First, the battery is completely dead and when I try to install ubuntu, it asks me to unplug the laptop and restart. Obviously, this causes a problem. I also tried installing xubuntu 9.10, but when I first tried to shutdown, the menus disappeared and I had to shut off with the power button. Then, when I unplugged the laptop and restarted it, it would progress to the login screen, then show only a blank window with a mouse pointer. I was able to open the install CD if I put it into the drive and I could enter the terminal, but no idea what to do from there. Sorry if this question has already been asked and solved. I appreciate any help! Here are my system specs:

Intel PIII 500
    191mb RAM
    12gb HD
    DVD rom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Thinkpad 600x

You could try the alternate installer to circumvent the first problem.

From your already working installation, you could try installing some alternative window managers like xfce4. Do you have a working internet connection? Then just apt-get install xfce4 and choose it from gdm/xdm/whatever...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fafler View Post
    From your already working installation, you could try installing some alternative window managers like xfce4. Do you have a working internet connection? Then just apt-get install xfce4 and choose it from gdm/xdm/whatever...
    Actually, did a re-install, update, and restarted without a problem. I even tried unplugging the power and it is doing ok. I will try leaving it unplugged overnight and see if the problem persists. Thanks for your help.

One thing I am still having trouble with though is the shutting down from the upper right button on the menu. I think that is a common problem for the 600x.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Take a look at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600X It has all kind of information on running Linux on Thinkpad machines.