Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual boot unsuccessful

Beans

Dual boot unsuccessful

I just downloaded and installed 9.10. I have it installed on a separate drive than my windows OS. When asked to reboot I did so and instead of giving me a GRUB loader I was left with the Windows loader which wasn't a problem because Ubuntu shows up on the list. But when I went to load Ubuntu it wouldn't load at all. It gave me an error about not having the disk and said that wubi.mbr or whatever that file is called was missing. I have no clue what to do....my cd burner is broken so I can't burn these files to disc and when running wubi.exe I tried to run the demo and install that way but the demo never starts up at all.

Can anyone help me out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Dual boot unsuccessful

I'm not clear about something. Were you using Wubi for the initial Ubuntu install?

If you were then it should install it inside your Windows partition. And the Windows bootloader would be the one you use, not grub.
    If at first it doesn't work.. throw a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever.

Beans

Ok well that might be the problem.....I told it to install on a separate drive than where my windows install was at....which is how I want it done...can I not do this with 9.10? I didn't see any other way to install since the demo never started up....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Wubi installs within Windows.. which has it's advantages. One of the big ones is that you can uninstall within the Control Panel add/remove programs.

Dual booting in a more traditional way will allow you to choose your partitions and give you the grub boot loader. Which version of Windows are you running?
    If at first it doesn't work.. throw a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by timstone View Post
    Ok well that might be the problem.....I told it to install on a separate drive than where my windows install was at....which is how I want it done...can I not do this with 9.10? I didn't see any other way to install since the demo never started up....
    You can install it to the other hd.

First ... to clarify ... did you do a wubi-install (i.e. was windows running when you installed ubuntu)? If yes, and you want to keep it that way, see the wubi-guide for possible solutions. It may be dated but is still relevant.

If you want to install ubuntu in it's own partition or HD, post back and the forum can guide you.

- you might want to remove the wubi-ubuntu to simplify.
    - have a tested/working back-up of your files

Best,

Raymond
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

I did install it within windows using wubi...I am using Windows 7 currently. I'm downloading from another source right now.....hoping this one will work right. I uninstalled what I had just installed and I'm hoping the demo/separate install will actually work on this one.

EDIT: nope...download just finished and nothing has changed. I click the demo/full install button and it asks me to restart. I check restart now and then click next/finish and it just sits there. Maybe it would just be easier if I installed an older copy without wubi and then upgraded.
    Last edited by timstone; March 22nd, 2010 at 04:41 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by timstone View Post
    I did install it within windows using wubi...I am using Windows 7 currently. I'm downloading from another source right now.....hoping this one will work right. I uninstalled what I had just installed and I'm hoping the demo/separate install will actually work on this one.
    are you going for another wubi-install or are you planning to install in it's own HD with it's own partition?
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raymondh View Post
    are you going for another wubi-install or are you planning to install in it's own HD with it's own partition?
    I'm downloading Jaunty currently. I hope it doesn't have a wubi installer with it. But yes that was my plan was to do install it on its on HD and it's own partition.

EDIT: Ok...I'm done downloading for the night I think unless I can get a fast response here....I need an image file that does not have wubi...I just want to install the old way...the full install method with wubi is not working for me on 3 different versions.
    Last edited by timstone; March 22nd, 2010 at 05:05 AM.

Beans

Ok I'm not really sure why or how but instead of trying to install wubi to my 2nd hard drive I tried it on my windows drive and it worked fine. Now that I'm actually in Ubuntu I want to get a clean install done to the 2nd hard drive and delete this wubi install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wubi will only work from within windows - that is what it is designed to do - work within windows. If you are happy with the installation of wubi, it is possible to copy ubuntu to a separate drive/partition by looking at this and this - it saves having to do a complete reinstallation. Of course a fresh installation to a separate hard drive won't hurt, just make sure you don't try that with wubi - that is not what wubi is meant for.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast