Thread: Any driver support for "Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000" graphics tablet?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question Any driver support for "Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000" graphics tablet?

Hi all,

I have an Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000 graphics tablet and would like to know if there's any Linux drivers and/or software support for this model? I've installed Xournal which somewhat works with my tablet, but the stylus cursor isn't stable nor am I able to calibrate the tablet to the screen area. I've also tried using it in GIMP to no avail with the same result/problem. I'd really like to use this tablet on Linux if it's possible.

If no one has or is working on a solution, is there anyone out there willing to tackle this project?

I'll gladly upload the software/driver CD that came with it if someone wants to work up a stable solution. On the CD is factory support for MS-Windows 2k-XP(Vista?) and Mac OSX OS's, so I would think there's a solution for Linux. Or you can download the .zip file with new drivers from the page linked above for MS-Windows 2k-7 and Mac OSX-(update -- you must now register membership to access Adesso website downloads as of March 2010). My offer to upload driver(s) from disc still stands -- PM me?. I'm not a programmer and haven't a clue how one would go about this. Any takers?

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas, or leads to a solution or a work in progress?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Visible Spirit

OS = Ubuntu Studio v8.04 LTS

PS -- I originally posted this question as a response-(#2) to "[ubuntu] How is Support for Non-Wacom Tablets" in the "Hardware & Laptop" forum.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, ... and not everything that counts can be counted."
    1879 ~Albert Einstein~ 1955

Ubuntu user #23155 ______________ Linux user #475466

Beans

Re: Any driver support for "Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000" graphics tablet?

I was thinking of buying a cyberpad and using it with ubuntu as well, but doesn't look like it is supported... I heard the tablet will work in ubuntu but only like a mouse after installing the wacom tools package.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Visible Spirit and mikitz,

OK, it's a non-wacom usb tablet with 512 levels of pressure. Do we know if the tablet is rebranded? OEM's include Waltop, Aiptek, and WizardPen, and each have their own drivers. We can look at the output of:
    Code:
    grep -i name /proc/bus/input/devices
    in a terminal as a first try.

Beans

Sorry to bump an old post, but I do believe it is rebranded. There is an Aiptek model that uses the same driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Any driver support for "Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000" graphics tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Visible Spirit and mikitz,

OK, it's a non-wacom usb tablet with 512 levels of pressure. Do we know if the tablet is rebranded? OEM's include Waltop, Aiptek, and WizardPen, and each have their own drivers. We can look at the output of:
    Code:
    grep -i name /proc/bus/input/devices
    in a terminal as a first try.

Hi Favux,

My apologies for not replying sooner regarding your offer to help with this issue. As well as being a busy person, in all honesty, the fact that you replied and offered help slipped my mind as time went on. However, if your still willing to help me with this problem, it will be greatly appreciated.

I ran the command-line you suggested in a terminal session. As Nickel1010 suggests, it seems to be listed as an "Aiptek" as you can see in the terminal report below.
    Code:
    XXXXXXXXXX@ubuntu:~$ grep -i name /proc/bus/input/devices
    N: Name="Macintosh mouse button emulation"
    N: Name="AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
    N: Name="Power Button (FF)"
    N: Name="Power Button (CM)"
    N: Name="PC Speaker"
    N: Name="ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse"
    N: Name="Aiptek"
    XXXXXXXXXX@ubuntu:~$ exit
    At one time I had the chip-set info, but can't remember the terminal/command-line syntax to retrieve it.

I hope to get a response/reply to resolve this matter and look forward to such.

Regards,
    Visible Spirit
    Last edited by Visible Spirit; September 25th, 2010 at 03:21 AM.
    "Not everything that can be counted counts, ... and not everything that counts can be counted."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel1010 View Post
    Sorry to bump an old post, but I do believe it is rebranded. There is an Aiptek model that uses the same driver.

Hi Nickel1010,

Thanks for your input/help. It would appear your correct if you look at my terminal session output I posted here. Hopefully with help from folks such as yourself I can get this puppy working and enjoy it's benefits as an aspiring amateur graphic artist.

Regards,
    Visible Spirit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In Synaptic Package Manager install the xserver-xorg-input-aiptek driver package.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Wink Re: Any driver support for "Adesso Cyber Tablet 12000" graphics tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    In Synaptic Package Manager install the xserver-xorg-input-aiptek driver package.
    A quick note to let you know I appreciate your response. I did dwnld and install the " xserver-xorg-input-aiptek driver package " you suggested but haven't had time to play around with things yet. I'll get back here with a report once I find time to investigate things further.

Thanks again for your reply Favux.

Regards,
    Visible Spirit

Beans

Visible Spirit,

I was thinking of purchasing this tablet for use in Ubuntu, as well. Curious if you found that it worked well.

Thanks,
    PedalPowered

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PedalPowered View Post
    Visible Spirit,

I was thinking of purchasing this tablet for use in Ubuntu, as well. Curious if you found that it worked well.

Thanks,
    PedalPowered

Hi PedalPowered,

My apologies for not replying sooner, but I'm so busy these days I don't have time to get on-line outside business anymore. I haven't even been to any of my old hang-outs and miss some of the folks I used to be in contact with. We'll see who remembers me when things do settle and I eventually get time to enjoy on-line, not to mention do some of my art work again. For now, I've just got more on my plate than I should but haven't much choice in most matters as it all stands.

That said, I haven't had time to actually sit and play with my Adesso tablet either. As noted in my post above, I did install the xserver-xorg-input-aiptek driver package some time ago and that didn't seem to work. Nothings changed. I'm still hoping to get this drawing tablet working under Linux if and when I have time. So I'm sorry I can't be of much help. Looks as though we both need some help getting this drawing tablet to function on Ubuntu, so I hope someone sees this and offers some soon.

I do get notices of responses to this thread amongst some others I'm watching and try to get in here asap when I do. Hopefully anyone that does comment will have patience for my reply, or if helping you or someone else, finds a resolution for all and it's clearly posted here for reference so I can use my tablet too!

I don't have the expertise to code and troubleshoot this kind of stuff, so again, I hope someone that does helps all that have this tablet (and others made by Adesso) by finding a solution. At one time I emailed Adesso for a solution and don't remember if I got a reply or not. If I did, I'm sure it was a generic type with no solution. I think it's a great tablet with lots of potential if only someone with the knowhow would help get it working on Linux.

Don't give up! There's got to be someone with an answer out there somewhere.

Regards,
    Visible Spirit...