Thread: Broken desktop/background

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Broken desktop/background

Updated earlier this evening and the background is gone.. just white.

Maybe this Nautilus update causing this...?
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...ch/008502.html

Cannot see any bug either....
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...as_no_package=

Beans
    Distro

Re: Broken desktop/background

updated a couple of hours ago and I'm not seeing this , updateing again now but just gcc and related coming down this time I don't think that will do anything to the bg .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    updated a couple of hours ago and I'm not seeing this , updateing again now but just gcc and related coming down this time I don't think that will do anything to the bg .
    Well, we are 2 users including me within my local national ubuntu forum with this error...

A light theme gives a white background and a dark theme gives a black background. No way to change the background.

I have also tested gconf-editor and change settings for Nautilus.

Not a big problem anyway...

RGBA...??? Messed around with that....

Beans
    Distro

maybe thats why I'm not getting it . I don't have a standard theme or BG .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On my machine, it was the recent Nautilus update that caused this problem to occur. I had experimental RGBA installed (fun stuff!), and the nautilus update turned my background gray. Also, infinite Nautilus windows would try to open until I logged out. From reading the changelog, the developers removed the Nautilus patch that prevented this infinite loop bug (and the broken background, apparently).

It was originally patched in preparation for RGBA support in Lucid, but it is now pushed back to Lucid +1. I would assume that that's the reason for removing it. My "solution" was to uninstall the RGBA ppa.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

*facepalm*

I should have checked out the OP's links before posting. That's the changelog I was talking about. Removing the RGBA ppa and reverting the altered packages to vanilla Ubuntu fixed the problem for me, so it's a pretty safe bet that RGBA is to blame. Which is unfortunate, because I find it to be a nice touch.

Beans

Confirmed that it is RGBA support causing the problem. I am still affected by the problem in Lucid Beta 2 with the latest gtk2-module-rgba.

Instead of uninstalling RGBA support, you can add 'nautilus' to the end of /etc/profile.d/gtkrgba.sh. This workaround will disable rgba support for nautilus altogether.

Beans

Oh, I just fixed this problem by 'downgrading' to the version of nautilus that was in the ppa (open synaptic, find nautilus, nautilus-data, libnautilus-extension1, ctrl-e on each of them, force the version with 'ppa' in it).