Thread: USB thumb drive no longer recognized

Beans

USB thumb drive no longer recognized

My machine crashed (powered down unexpectedly) recently with an 8GB thumb drive attached to it. When it came back up I was trying to delete a file in one of the folders, but it kept telling me that the filesystem on the device was read only. Googling lead me to the third post on this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...97&postcount=3

When I ran fsck -r, I got a bunch of errors that were identified as "There are differences between boot sector and its backup". I chose option #2, Copy backup to original. Not sure if that what caused the issue or if it was something else, but now the device is no longer recognized, period, when I plug it in. Not only does it not auto-mount, but the output from the mount command is identical both with and without the device plugged in.

Is there something else I can try, or do I now have a (very light) thumb drive shaped paperweight?

Thanks.

-Michael

Beans

Re: USB thumb drive no longer recognized

Ok, just noticed something new... when I plug the device in, /dev/disk/by-id gets 2 new items added to it:

usb-Kingston_DT_101_II_5B8618000B5B-0:0
    usb-Kingston_DT_101_II_5B8618000B5B-0:0-part1

So, something is getting recognized. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks.

-Michael

PS. actually, the other /dev/disk/by-* folders get entries added to them too, if needed I can post them all.
    Last edited by mvandemar; March 21st, 2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: addl info

Beans

Re: USB thumb drive no longer recognized

Anyone..?

Thanks.

-Michael