THE LINUX TECH SURVEY
When was the first time you actually heard of this thing called Linux?

Back in 1997, I guy I worked with had Red Hat on a mountain of floppies. Never actually got it going, but was interested that it existed. I'd used Unix for a number of years at work.

Do you or have you ever used Linux? If yes, for how long?

At home, full time since May 2007.

What was the first Linux distro you used?

PClinuxOS 2007.

How was your first time Linux experience?

Actually very good. I set PCLOS up as dual-boot with Windows on my laptop, then after about a month, realised I'd used Linux for everything, and Windows hadn't been started in that time.

Do you agree that Linux can efficiently do all the daily computing tasks that an average user would do?

It does for me. Mind you, I'm not a gamer, and never have been.

What's your favourite Gnome Linux distro and why?

Ubuntu. It seems to be a very easy to use implementation.

What's your favourite KDE Linux distro and why?

Still PCLinuxOS - it just seems to be more efficient and use less resources than other KDE implementations.

What Linux desktop environment do you like?

Probably Gnome. I'm still trying to get used to KDE4. For a lightweight implementation, I've also used Xfce and quite like it too.

Linux is for a. Pros b. Noobs c. Both

c. Both. With modern Linux distributions, you can be as geeky as you want, or not if you don't want.

what are some of the things that Linux gives you that other OS's dont?

Well, it doesn't give me viruses, spyware, updates that continually require reboots, etc. It doesn't take ages to start up and shut down, doesn't need endless maintenance for scanning, defragging, etc. I just get to use the computer.

What is/are some of your favourite Linux application(s)?

Totem, VLC, Firefox, Chromium, Audacity, K3B, Amarok, etc.

What are some of the things you would like to see improved in Linux?

My biggest disappointment has been the level of regression introduced with some new releases. I know that testing and fixing bugs is boring compared to introducing cool new features, but it is annoying to find that the flashy new version is broken in some fairly obvious ways. I would like to see the underlying stability have more priority. It's hard to encourage someone to use something, and then have to explain to them that 'xyz' feature is broken, but hopefully it'll be fixed again soon.

If those things are fixed, would you switch to Linux (assuming you don't use Linux as your primary OS)?

I already do, and that's not likely to change.