Thread: Problems upgrading to Lucid beta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Problems upgrading to Lucid beta

These last couple of days, I've been trying to upgrade from my 64-bit Karmic setup, but after performing «Alt + F2», and «upgrade-manager -d» to start the installation process, the latter comes to a grinding halt with the following error message :
    Kunde inte beräkna uppgraderingen [Could not calculate the upgrade]

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
    Försöker att installera svartlistade versionen [Attempting to install the black-listed version] ”openoffice.org-filter-binfilter_1:3.2.0~rc4-1ubuntu1″

This can be caused by:
    * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

Om inte någon av dessa stämmer så rapportera detta fel mot paketet ”update-manager” och inkludera filerna i /var/log/dist-upgrade/ i felrapporten. [If none of these is the case, report this «update-manager» package bug and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bug report]
    and the procedure was rolled back.

On another forum, I was advised to run
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

sudo update-manager -d
    in a terminal, after which the following appeared there :
    Läser paketlistor [Reading package lists]… Färdig [Finished]
    Bygger beroendeträd [Building dependency tree]
    Läser tillståndsinformation [Reading permissions information]… Färdig
    Läser utökad tillståndsinformation [Reading expanded permissions information]
    Initierar pakettillstånd [Initiating package permissions]… Färdig
    Följande paket kommer att TAS BORT [The following packages will be REMOVED]:
    openoffice.org-help-zh-cn{u} openoffice.org-help-zh-tw{u}
    openoffice.org-l10n-zh-cn{u} openoffice.org-l10n-zh-tw{u}

[I fail to understand what these Chinese language OOo help files have to do with the Lucid installation, but that's another matter....]

0 paket uppgraderade [0 packages upgraded], 0 nyinstallerade [0 newly installed]. 4 att ta bort [4 to be removed] och 0 inte uppgraderade [and 0 not upgraded].
    Behöver hämta 0B arkiv. [Need to fetch 0B archive] Efter uppackning kommer 78,5MB diskplats att frigöras. [After extraction will 78.5MB disk space be freed]
    Vill du fortsätta? [Do you wish to continue ?] [Y/n/?] Y
    (Läser databasen [Reading the data base] … 182473 filer och kataloger installerade [files and catalogues installed].)
    Tar bort [Removing] openoffice.org-help-zh-cn …
    Tar bort openoffice.org-help-zh-tw …
    Tar bort openoffice.org-l10n-zh-cn …
    Tar bort openoffice.org-l10n-zh-tw …
    Läser paketlistor… Färdig
    Bygger beroendeträd
    Läser tillståndsinformation… Färdig
    Läser utökad tillståndsinformation
    Initierar pakettillstånd… Färdig
    Skriver utökad tillståndsinformation… Färdig

mhenriday@mhenriday-baerbar:~$ sudo update-manager -d

extracting 'lucid.tar.gz'
    authenticate 'lucid.tar.gz' against 'lucid.tar.gz.gpg'
    So far so good, but after about fem minutes I once again receive the error message concerning the attempt «to install the black-listed version ”openoffice.org-filter-binfilter_1:3.2.0~rc4-1ubuntu1″» och the installation process is rolled back. Any suggestions as to a workaround ?…

Henri
    Last edited by mhenriday; March 23rd, 2010 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problems upgrading to Lucid beta

Hi,

you would be better of asking on the Lucid forum --> http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=377

I'm not sure where the 64bit is up to.

My only 'hint' would be to remove Open Office, upgrade & re-install it. But I'd strongly suggest you ask over on the Lucid area.

safe-upgrade leaves the old files behind, you may well need to point your repo's over to Lucid.

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/karmic/lucid/g' /etc/apt/sources.list && sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade

Regards,

Phill.
    Last edited by phillw; March 21st, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Phill, thanks for your speedy reply ! Given the nature of the error message, I had been considering uninstalling OOo and your suggestion pushed me over the line - I uninstalled and was then able to upgrade to Lucid via «Alt + F2» and «upgrade-manager -d». I can't call the upgrade painless - after installation, a lot of files had to be repaired (a very long process !) before I could successfully boot into Lucid, but once that was done, I had no trouble re-installing the Ubuntuised version of OpenOffice and everything now seems to be hunky-dory. But I think I'll wait until beta 2 is released before upgrading my main box....

Henri

Beans

Thank you Phil. Your suggestion worked out.

I am just not able to wait till April 29.

Beans
    Distro

As is, alas, my wont, I was a bit premature in assigning a «Solved» tag (which I've now removed) to this thread ; as can be seen from my post to this thread and to another one, which I took the liberty of initiating, I'm not quite out of the woods yet....

Henri
    Last edited by mhenriday; March 24th, 2010 at 06:07 PM.