Thread: Is Netbook remix good with SSD drives?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Is Netbook remix good with SSD drives?

Hi
    I have an MSI Wind U115 netbook that is fitted with an 8GB SSD drive, together with a conventional 160GB hard drive. It came supplied with XP Home but I would like to install Netbook remix and was wondering if the trim command is supported by this operating system. I would love to get rid of Windoze and any advice would be appreciated.
    IBM T23 Laptop 1.13 Mhz, 80 Gig Hdd, 1 Gig RAM Lucid 10.04
    Compaq Duron 750 Geforce FX5200 Graphics Karmic 9.10
    Dell GX270 with 2.6 Ghz P4, 1 Gig Ram, Geforce 4 MX 420, Lucid 10.04
    Home Build Athlon XP 2600 I Gig DDR Lucid 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is Netbook remix good with SSD drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Julian David Pitt View Post
    Hi
    I have an MSI Wind U115 netbook that is fitted with an 8GB SSD drive, together with a conventional 160GB hard drive. It came supplied with XP Home but I would like to install Netbook remix and was wondering if the trim command is supported by this operating system. I would love to get rid of Windoze and any advice would be appreciated.
    Hello mate,

Hmm...so let me get this straight. You have a MSI Wind that comes with BOTH an 8GB SSD and a 160GB Hard Disk Drive and you want Linux only machine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Julian David Pitt View Post
    Hi
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM#Op...system_support , TRIM is supported in linux kernel 2.6.33. However, the current Ubuntu version of the kernel is 2.6.32. So, afaik, for now TRIM is not supported, unless you manually install the 2.6.33 kernel.

If I were you, I'd wait until it is updated rather than installign manually, but you may have a long wait. Possibly until 10.10
    Ubuntu isn't perfect, but neither are we.
    "Life is a dangerous activity. One hundred percent of participants end up dead."
    Symlinks to hard links | Ultimate Minecraft

Beans

You dont have to have trim support from the kernel. Its the easy, fast way but it is possible to setup trim via hdparm-

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...9#post33429489
    Last edited by cascade9; July 9th, 2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo