Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on CD/DVD drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Thoughts on CD/DVD drives

ive been linux exclusive for about 3 years now and am thinking about college. Why does anyone(myself in this case) put up with having to butt heads with the so called exclusive software and format non-sense is beyond me.

i can only the assume the comment of windows/mac exclusive formats was sarcasm.

<sarcasm>To people whom are entrenched in windows heres what i have to say. I'm entrenched in ubuntu it has all the right applications and format available to me in a practical manner. Plus on top of all that fluff... "its required by work" and "i need the thing that does the Internet" (w/out borking everything or wasting my time doing "scans")... " my learning establishment operates on the real internets, "someone w/ a CS degree told me to", "everybody else is doing it". So basically to sum it up i have the right to be a jerk to you even though i have no idea whats going on...</sarcasm mostly>...hmph..

sorry, off topic.... boo! optical drives! lol
    Laptops: S76 Panp5, HP tc4400
    Other: numerous old desktops/laptops running ubuntu or puppy linux

Beans

CDs and DVDs are formats. So it's all fine. That said, I really had wanted this thread to be on trends in computing, which ones you think are good and which ones should go; my example being CD/DVD drives. As for why this thread is located here, rather than elsewhere on the forum, is simply a matter of helping system76 select their next generation of computers by providing a means to which people can provide suggestions on what is good and what is bad.

I wouldn't call my comment about my school sarcasm. Indignation yes, mocking yes, but sarcasm no. That said, it is slightly ironic that someone would use a hugely cross platform language only to restrict it to a small subset of platforms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Until one can download music and video in full lossless quality in a reasonable time and at reasonable expense, CDs and DVDs (and therefore at least external optical drives) will still be a necessity. I personally wouldn't even consider downloading classical music or opera from the web. That was after all the whole point of CDs (and digital encoding of music) back in the 80's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cygnia makes a very good point. It is ironic that we beat our technical brains out over the last 25 years reducing preamp-amp distortion levels to the vanishing point only to settle for convenient but lower fidelity source material! We may ultimately get our highest fidelity audio and video recordings some other way but for now the CD/DVD is essential in that role. (Yes, I know about vinyl ...)

Re Lemur and similar machines: They are very attractive indeed provided one needs an external drive or external HD only infrequently. I have found that the short cord on my external WD 500 drive, for example, is prone to coming loose. That makes it a poor vehicle for operating systems which do not take kindly to being interrupted! And the same is true for external cd/dvd burners. So we have a mechanical connection problem we need to solve in some more reliable fashion.

Would I like to do away with all of this stuff and go over to something like a Lemur? Sure would.

Oh, but do give me at least 8 hours of battery life. In some itsey-bitsey little package of course!

All that said, Tom Aaron is right. Mechanical devices will be eliminated at every opportunity. They are usually too large, too unreliable and frequently too hot.

Beans

@Cyngia
    Agreed, I too would greatly appreciate a music download service that offered lossless formats (such as my beloved flac.) Until then I too will have a CD/DVD drive. However, since you only have to rip music once, there's not a need to have a built in drive, just a need to have one somewhere.

@bill516
    I think the mp3 preference is mostly because many people don't actually care about how good the music sounds, so long as it's decent.

Longer USB cords are quite nice... though your problem sounds more like your USB port is too loose. I frequently have the opposite problem with flash drives.

Honestly, If the lemur had one of the i3/5/7 ultra low watt cpus I would snatch it up. Though, I think that there may be more going on with the relatively poor performance of the lemur's battery, as linux power management is actually pretty good (though you have to get your hands dirty.) Consider for a moment my current laptop, which has a T5250 (35W,) I can get 3+ hours on my 6 cell (which is at about 2/3 capacity now.) So a 10W cpu should be able to beat that by quite a bit. Maybe it's simply the battery is smaller, or maybe it's the motherboard or some other bit of hardware that eats up power.

Of course the real problem with optical media and mechanical drives is their moving parts. But we have flash drives and SSD to save us (if only they could be cheaper.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There's also the ability factor to consider. While I'm sure there are many people who can tell the difference between digital audio encoded in a lossy format and audio in a lossless format, I'd also estimate that about 80% of the population can't tell the difference between 192 kbps and 320 kbps. It is good that they keep lossless formats like FLAC and WAV for the audiophiles, it is simply not required for most people.

About the mechanical devices, the moving parts do tend to suck up power more than anything else you can put into a computer. Some are required, like CPU fans, etc. But I am definitely waiting eagerly for the day that SSD and the like are more affordable.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

HD downloads: www.hdtracks.com Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Until one can download music and video in full lossless quality in a reasonable time and at reasonable expense, CDs and DVDs (and therefore at least external optical drives) will still be a necessity. I personally wouldn't even consider downloading classical music or opera from the web. That was after all the whole point of CDs (and digital encoding of music) back in the 80's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the link MarkID. This site looks promising as basically the lossless-quality eMusic. If they could get a wider variety of music it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Beans

I've basically given up on CDs. It's either LPs or lossless downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Thanks for the link MarkID. This site looks promising as basically the lossless-quality eMusic. If they could get a wider variety of music it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Beans

@MarkID
    Good for you, but there isn't a service that offers the music I like in lossless quality, so I'm stuck with CDs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12