Thread: Best Ubuntu Build

Beans

Best Ubuntu Build

Hi , I experiment a little bit with Ubuntu with PIV CPU, and I found the desktop slow, so I want to build the best system to use with Ubuntu, So I have some questions but before to give you an Idea, my Windows 7 is build ona i7-975 EE, WC , with 2 * 5870 , and 2 Intel SSD in raid 0 , so I'm use to have performance, and I intend to have the same with ubuntu

HD : will go with raid 0, I think we can't use trim, so I have to exclude SSD, right ?
    GPU : I want something with no lag at all, but no need of a GPU for gaming.
    CPU : 4, 6, 8 cores, what is the best, is Intel better with Ubuntu too. I have no problem to take AMD, if the performance do not suffer
    Ram: how much we need for very good performance ?

what else I need to know , and sorry, english is not my first language

Gerard

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best Ubuntu Build

hi
    ubuntu when built properly and used properly can be fast on any machine (i get 5-6 second boot times on a duel 1.6 cpu, with 2 gb of ram, and an intel chipset for my gpu) so i whould suggest that a duel core should be fine although im not sure if you can use a quad core properly with ubuntu yet.
    gpu, almost any decent gpu on the market will do but you'll have to check witch ones work better with ubuntu.
    also to get snappy boot times and load times some of the performance things in this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...u+from+scratch thread will speed it up a lot. the ones i use are prelinking, profiling witch is done at the grub bootloader, and editing the rcS file. these for me made a fast stable system on an old machine so yours should be awesome. hope this helped.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Best is 2GB of ram 2.00GHz processor,and any NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD with 128,256,512.....MB
    Linux Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit
    2gb ram ddr3
    Intel(R)Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 2.2Ghz
    Ati HD3650

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Last summer I built a "high-performance" Ubuntu system. It has an AMD Phenom II X2 CPU, nVidia 9400 GT graphics, WD "black" 640 GB hard drive, 4 GB of 1333 MHz memory. One of my favorite applications is the Cinelerra video editor, whick works great.

The CPU can run at 3.2 GHz but most of the time it idles at 800 MHz.