Thread: MIT researchers develop 'invisible' computer mouse

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Post MIT researchers develop 'invisible' computer mouse

Researchers at MIT have developed a method to let users click and scroll, without an actual mouse.

Cup your palm, move it around on a table and a cursor on the screen hovers. Tap on the table like you would click a real mouse, and the computer responds...
    http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/6151647.cms

Beans

Re: MIT researchers develop 'invisible' computer mouse

There is a program for Linux called MouseTrap that is supposed to use your webcam to control the mouse with the movements of your head or something like that. It didn't work correctly for me, even though I did get it to move a little, it froze up and I couldn't control my mouse anymore to exit the program. And you can't change the settings to probably make it move more efficiently (the green dot was at the top of my head) because it loads up the webcam automatically.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Oh boy!

So instead of having a mouse with a small, cheap camera inside its case, we can have a bigger camera that sits right on the desk! It's like when you turn a mouse upside down and move your finger over the sensor, but now the pointer moves in the other direction and the sensor is bigger.

What a revolution!

Having said that, the actual gesture tracking system is probably pretty interesting. Hopefully their focus is on infrastructure instead of that pointless implementation.
    Last edited by Mr. Picklesworth; July 11th, 2010 at 02:37 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Oh boy!

So instead of having a mouse with a small, cheap camera inside its case, we can have a bigger camera that sits right on the desk! It's like when I turn a mouse upside down and move my finger over the sensor, but now the pointer moves in the other direction.

What a revolution!

Having said that, the actual gesture tracking system is probably pretty interesting. Hopefully their focus is on infrastructure instead of that pointless implementation.
    They will never be able to compete with Canonical's revolutionary mouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

First they get rid of tactile keyboards in place of awkward and hard to use touchscreen keyboards. Now they are developing a way to get rid of a tactile mouse.

What's wrong with buttons?????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I wish there was an application where you could control the pointer by your head. Blinking just your left eye would be a left click, right eye is right click, both eyes does nothing, and scroll wheel is replaced by rolling your eyes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    I wish there was an application where you could control the pointer by your head. Blinking just your left eye would be a left click, right eye is right click, both eyes does nothing, and scroll wheel is replaced by rolling your eyes.
    That's what MouseTrap is supposed to be. It's in the Ubuntu Software Center.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Stancel View Post
    That's what MouseTrap is supposed to be. It's in the Ubuntu Software Center.
    How well does it work?