Thread: grub-reboot problems

Beans

grub-reboot problems

So while trying to figure out how to set it up that my computer would restart automatically into windows I came across the grub-reboot command. However whenever I use it, does not seem to do anything. I have run it as sudo and used both the number and the menuentry, yet nothing happened. While trying to figure this out a lot of sites said to change something in the menu.lst. However, I am running grub 2.0 and the menu.lst does not exist any more. I am wondering if I have to change something in the grub.cfg file, but I do not trust myself enough to play around with it.

P.S If anybody knows a better way to set it up that your computer reboots from Ubuntu to windows please tell me.

Beans

Re: grub-reboot problems

Did you set GRUB_DEFAULT=saved in /etc/default/grub ? (Don't forget to run update-grub after modifying the config file)

I found a nice post about grub2 : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: grub-reboot problems

This will set the default to boot from a windows stanza:

But Grub 2 also lets you use the title. Suppose your Windows title is "Windows Vista (on /dev/sda1)". Then you can use in /etc/grub/default, and you won't have to edit Grub after kernel updates.

find your windows entry in this and copy to grub default like this Vista entry:
    gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    and copy into grub_default line here:
    gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    change to comment # or delete old and add new line:
    #GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_DEFAULT="Windows Vista (on /dev/sda1)"
    Then do:
    sudo update-grub

#GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
    Then do sudo update-grub.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.