Thread: ATI Mobility M6 LY, broken in Karmic?

Hybrid View

Cool ATI Mobility M6 LY, broken in Karmic? [SOLVED]

Well I purposefully never upgraded my laptop (Thinkpad R40, with the card in the topic) mainly because I had the compiz working fine. I decided that I was going to go ahead with the upgrade though, mainly because I am in that kind of a mood, heh.

Anyway, it seems that the FGLRX drivers are completely broken, and the open-source RADEON drivers enable, but just give me unusable graphical glitches, screen redraw, etc. I have tried doing everything I could think of, scouring the forums. Right now I am running with MESA in 2d, and it's usuable. I miss my compiz though.

I was surprised to see that xorg.conf is completely not needed now? How is one to change the drivers and settings now? Is it all done via the kernel? I also tried using EnvyNG in text mode, it appeared to installed the FGLRX drivers correctly, but on boot, it goes to a "low graphics mode" and is unusable. Anyone who can help or at least point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by J-Rod; March 25th, 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: fixed the issue

Re: ATI Mobility M6 LY, broken in Karmic?

Ok, well after trying A LOT of things, including envyng,edgers, downgrading to the old Jaunty and Hardy mesa drivers... and some other stuff I forgot, I finally managed to get compiz working again.

At the moment, I am still running on the Hardy drivers, mainly because I know that they were the last ones that didn't give me much trouble. The modeset with KMS simply doesnt work with this card, and until I found this page,

I wasn't even able to generate a working xorg.conf, my old one was gone due to my idiocy of not backing it up before a major upgrade. Anyway, working xorg with thinkpad r40, Mobility 7000/M6 LY. Hopefully this will help someone else out that may be having the same issue!

Section "Module"
    	Load	"dri"
    	Load	"GLcore"
    Section "Device"
            Identifier "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M6 LY"
            Driver "ati"
            BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
            Option "AGPMode" "4"
            Option "AGPSize" "64" # default: 8
            Option "RingSize" "8"
            Option "BufferSize" "2"
            Option "EnablePageFlip" "True"
            Option "EnableDepthMoves" "True"
     Option "SWcursor" "off" #Faster than default (on)
     Option "AccelMethod" "EXA" #or XAA, which is the default and may be more stable
     Option "DynamicClocks" "on"
     Option "BIOSHotkeys" "on"
            Option "RenderAccel" "true" # Enables hardware acceleration
            Option "DynamicClocks" "on" # Adds clock scalability / power management for the video card