Thread: I can power on but not with the power button.

Beans

I can power on but not with the power button.

Strangest thing I've ever seen. A customer gave me a laptop that was riddled with viruses and they were so embedded into the system that I convinced her Ubuntu would be better. She agreed and so I installed, updated, and added a few things that she would want. That's when I noticed the power button not responding anymore. I also had to open it up to clear the heat sink of crud and so I opened it up again to make sure I connected everything correctly and sure enough it is. Nothing broke and everything else works. Funny thing, though, is I can power up using the music button. I double checked the manual just in case I switched wires somewhere and everything is as it is suppose to be. Could this be software related?

Toshiba Satellite A105-S2141
    Intel Celeron M 1.46 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    15 inch LCD
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200m

Thanks in advance.
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume

Beans

Re: I can power on but not with the power button.

No software has nothing to do with it. Pulled wire, reversed or misplaced connection seems the only logical answer.

Beans

Re: I can power on but not with the power button.

I figured... Triple checked and everything is good so I guess it's either the contact or pin is messed up. Thanks for the reply
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume