Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a baby squirrel!

Beans

Found a baby squirrel!

Don't know what to do with it. We let it lay out side for a few hours, to see if it's mom would get him, but she just sat in the tree barking at him. She came down the tree smelled it then went back up the tree, and started barking at it again. It's getting cold, so we brought him in, warmed him up, made some calls, but everyone is closed. What the hell am I going to do with this thing? I don't think it's even a week old yet, it's eyes aren't even open yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Found a baby squirrel!

dunno about squirrells but for other animals if a newborn has too much contact with humans the mother will ignore it. it could be ill too and the mother doesn't want to look after it at expense of the more healthy babies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I dunno about squirrels but kittens that age gotta be fed every 3 hours (literally, it means staying up all night long). I don't even know what you'd feed a baby squirrel..
    You have to get in contact with a vet if you want it to survive.

Beans

Keep him?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monkeh View Post
    dunno about squirrells but for other animals if a newborn has too much contact with humans the mother will ignore it. it could be ill too and the mother doesn't want to look after it at expense of the more healthy babies
    We didn't go anywhere near it until we decided to rescue him. He seems very healthy. It fell about 15-20 feet out of the tree it was in. It's amazing that he doesn't seem to be hurt at all. I know if I fell that far I would be in a world of hurt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay I had some experience (not necessarily with squirrels tho).....I agree with the previous post.....but you can at least TRY.....keep it warm ( as in new born baby) but dont smother....cardboard box and a few rags in a sheltered corner should do...put a warm hot water bottle under the box....eye dropper...look up on the net re what you should use to feed (ref its a squirrel)....you gonna have to do it every few hours a little at a time...is it a red or a grey? by the way....and all through the night..its gonna be hard work....I have managed with birds and kittens and bigger creatures...mommy squirrels can get viscious by the way...good luck...and if it doesnt make it then at least you will have tried and given it a few hours/days more of life...

Beans

Take pictures, post here.

Please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jayze View Post
    Okay I had some experience (not necessarily with squirrels tho).....I agree with the previous post.....but you can at least TRY.....keep it warm ( as in new born baby) but dont smother....cardboard box and a few rags in a sheltered corner should do...put a warm hot water bottle under the box....eye dropper...look up on the net re what you should use to feed (ref its a squirrel)....you gonna have to do it every few hours a little at a time...is it a red or a grey? by the way....and all through the night..its gonna be hard work....I have managed with birds and kittens and bigger creatures...mommy squirrels can get viscious by the way...good luck...and if it doesnt make it then at least you will have tried and given it a few hours/days more of life...
    His mom is red, he just has black peach fuzz.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Squirrels bark...?
    G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

PS if you are in the UK ring around the vets as often they are funded to sub by the RSPCA..or they may have links to local sanctuaries and voluntary rescues...you need to bear in mind they are classed as vermin really though a lot of vets and organisations dont lay much store by such labels....so do try...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast