Thread: Reformatting an external hard drive, FAT32 - EXT3 problems

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Reformatting an external hard drive, FAT32 - EXT3 problems

Hi there:

I have recently bought a 500 GB Samsung external hard drive, which the vendor formatted using FAT32, the standard i have been using for the 2 days that have passed since the acquisition. Later, I decided to re format the volume in this linux based standard (EXT3), but, after the process, Gparted shows that 25 GBs of the drive are in use, 25 GBs of data i cannot access, erase, not even read. Again, I have re formatted, for a second time, the external hard drive, this time choosing FAT32. After the process, those 25 GBs of junk are gone, and I can enjoy the whole 500 Gbs of the hard drive. Now, for the third time I have re formatted the hard drive, using EXT3 this time, the standard I have decided to use, and those 25 Gbs of data I cannot access, read, edit, whatever, are there again.

Any tips? Cause I have no idea the reason why 25 Gbs of memory can be lost, just by changing from FAT32 to EXT3.

Almost forgot: the name of the folder that contains the 25 GBs of data is called "lost+found"

Cheers
    Last edited by hihihi100; March 19th, 2010 at 08:11 PM.