Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 Released - Read Before Testing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Talking Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 Released - Read Before Testing!

UUU...AH! I LOVE IT!!!

Ok, back to normal. This is by far the most stable release (includig the fact it's a beta) I have ever tried in my short 3 years of experiences in the Ubuntu/Linux world.
    I'm running 64-bit and goes like on rails. Only one crash report, but doesn't seem to be a big deal, the bug was already reported.
    About the colors, gives the craving for eggplants (I don't like it) but getting used to it, anyway, can change it whenever I want.

Boots so fast I always forget about counting, installation went nice and easy on 20 min including installation of spanish language packages.

LL will be the bomb! Suggestion, make the buttons place R/L an option for the user.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 Released - Read Before Testing!

Quote Originally Posted by arashiko28 View Post
    LL will be the bomb! Suggestion, make the buttons place R/L an option for the user.
    I have the feeling they will make it easier. There seem to be some good ideas for that posted on the bog report. I am glad you like it. I love how the part where the dots are supposed to change color now goes by so fast that they don't get to change.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Beans
    Distro

I love it! I didn't even see the dots either! Super fast boot time!
    Blows windows 7 out of the water as far as boot time and everything else.

I have one question though, will I have to do a fresh install when the final release comes out?
    If so, no biggie, just curious if I can just get the updates or fresh install.

Thanks!

(And it found my HP Photosmart all-in-one printer/scanner/copier and installed the drivers. Sweet! )
    Last edited by Cavsfan; March 24th, 2010 at 04:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I love it! I didn't even see the dots either! Super fast boot time!
    Blows windows 7 out of the water as far as boot time and everything else.

I have one question though, will I have to do a fresh install when the final release comes out?
    If so, no biggie, just curious if I can just get the updates or fresh install.

Thanks!

(And it found my HP Photosmart all-in-one printer/scanner/copier and installed the drivers. Sweet! )
    No, you do not have to do a clean install when Lucid is finalized. When you do your updates the system will be upgraded to the next stage.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iRock View Post
    No, you do not have to do a clean install when Lucid is finalized. When you do your updates the system will be upgraded to the next stage.
    Now, there's some good news!
    Got a lot of updates today. This just keeps getting better and better...

Thanks for the info!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 Released - Read Before Testing!

I am at a loss to explain or even describe the trouble I've had with this.

First off, tried the amd64 alternate daily build; did the usual cd verification et al, got half way through the installation, and the install crapped out due to mixed up dependencies inside the openoffice.org package.

Thought 'eh, its a daily build, no worries', and picked up the regular beta amd64 alternate disk; install blew through, restarted aaaaaaaand I'm presented with the lovely purple splash screen telling me my disks need to be checked, fair enough, but the lack of any kind of process indication irked me, but it was late in the night so i thought, 'screw it, i'll be done by morning'. Lo' an behold, i awake to exactly the same screen.

I can't access any of the background consoles (ctrlalt F1, F2, etc), but i figure, this early in the boot process they're probably not started yet.

So i figure, try the regular desktop build. So download, hashcheck, boot.... boot.... ummm. nope - I have the very tasteful purple splash screen of the livecd booting up, and thats it. No motion, no activity, and most importantly no error messages.

Has anyone else seen anything like this or am i cursed?

(Memtest says I'm fine, and the ubuntu install i had in before was fine, I've changed every conceivable ACPI setting in the BIOS just in case, and still nothing)

UPDATE: Since no-one has responded here, I've fired the question across the net and will leave an answer on my blog post
    Last edited by Geneset; March 26th, 2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

this morning karmic amd64 update-manager (apt-get , aptitude as well)
    will not update to beta
    (have done all suggestions in this thread as well lol)
    tried on 2 different machines
    finally went to terminal and did

$ update-manager -d
    extracting 'lucid.tar.gz'
    authenticate 'lucid.tar.gz' against 'lucid.tar.gz.gpg'
    Traceback (most recent call last): File "/tmp/tmp2skmSG/lucid", line 3, in <module>
    from DistUpgradeMain import main
    File "/tmp/tmp2skmSG/DistUpgradeMain.py", line 25, in <module>
    from DistUpgradeController import DistUpgradeController
    File "/tmp/tmp2skmSG/DistUpgradeController.py", line 50, in <module>
    from sourceslist import SourcesList, SourceEntry, is_mirror
    File "/tmp/tmp2skmSG/sourceslist.py", line 36, in <module>
    from apt.deprecation import function_deprecated_by
    ImportError: No module named deprecation

so it appears broken.
    does anyone else get this?

fixed now - and away we go.
    thanks whomever
    Last edited by FishRCynic; March 27th, 2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: appears to be fixed as of now 7 hours later
    the more i learn the less i know

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 Released - Read Before Testing!

Time and time again I dual boot with an updated Ubuntu then install the same level, try them both, and they don't even look the same, and may or may not have the same bugs....

Jerry

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 Released - Read Before Testing!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Time and time again I dual boot with an updated Ubuntu then install the same level, try them both, and they don't even look the same, and may or may not have the same bugs....

Jerry
    Maybe because you have made changes to settings on the upgraded versions. I have never had a problem either way.

Cheers,
    Ronnie
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 1 Released - Read Before Testing!

Maybe because you have made changes to settings on the upgraded versions. I have never had a problem either way.

Cheers,
    Ronnie
    Ronnie, I always take the defaults to test them. Primarily changes are made if the developers suggest trying them on the launchpad bugs.

An example is the default screensaver option lately is to lock the screen. I'm the only user, constantly entering the password is a pain so I change that. In a launchpad "black screen" bug response one of the main developers asked me to turn off the screensaver and turn off power management putting the screen to sleep so I've done that. The developers are trying to figure out whether it is an xorg or a kernel problem. All I know is it was running O.K., I put on an update, and wham it goes unstable so I send in the crash reports and the apport ubuntu-bug xorg reports.

Another change I make is to the background, a picture of my wife at the beach instead of the defaults.

I've 4 test pc's, I keep them around when we get a new one for my wife's web work. This is an older IBM Thinkpad R31 with i830 graphics which infamously does not run KMS so I use nomodeset on it; the other three will so I run KMS on them even though it has been a pain for as long as the developers been trying to get KMS to work on all different video graphics.

Jerry

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast