Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup Amazon S3 / Scripts / Rsync?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Backup Amazon S3 / Scripts / Rsync?

Quote Originally Posted by cquilliam View Post
    I know i'm reviving an old thread here, but, I had a question that maybe someone could answer, without me starting a new thread.

I have a home setup with a Ubuntu 10.04 server and a desktop and laptop that dual boots between windows/ubuntu.

If I went with the jungledisk personal desktop edition, can I use it for all of my machines, the server included? Or do I need a separate one for the server (just a small server hosting a few websites, sql, etc.)?

I'm currently using free dropbox (2GB) but i'm approaching its limit now and want to move to something a little bigger, but I don't need Dropbox's next tier of $10/month for 50GB.

So, main question, what's the difference between the desktop edition and the server edition in my setup? Any? Will desktop edition work on all 3 systems?
    Just stumbled upon your question. Dunno if you've already answered it or moved on by now. I've used a single desktop version of JD to synchronize files on multiple machines on several occasions and it's never been a problem. The Network Drive feature works very well for this, although it's not the preferred method for backups. I have been backing up all of the files on my file server (including local machine backups) to JD for a long time now, and it's saved my butt more than once. Plus I just sleep a lot better knowing that all of our files are there in the event of a fire, robbery, or multiple drive failures.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans

I use s3cmd. Pure Python, small intuitive command-line, open source and cool

Beans

I don't know if you've had a chance to do this already, but I would use s3fs, and mount your s3 bucket as a normal file system. There is a fair amount of documentation on doing all of this. You can also use fstab to have it mount at boot. So backing up your files can be as easy as copy pasting into a file on your desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mikaelcrocker View Post
    I don't know if you've had a chance to do this already, but I would use s3fs, and mount your s3 bucket as a normal file system. There is a fair amount of documentation on doing all of this. You can also use fstab to have it mount at boot. So backing up your files can be as easy as copy pasting into a file on your desktop.
    One of my setups is a CentOS5 bacula host with a fuse-mounted s3 bit bucket as our bacula backups. (fuse://s3-bucket/)

I had issues with the fuse module ("modprobe fuse") on Ubuntu, but it was flawless with CentOS5.x
    DorkBlog

If you want something you've never had, then you must do things you've never done.
    Tools every shell scripter should have, explainshell, shellcheck, and crontab sandbox.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12