Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCut Cutting Plotter USB-Serial Device

Beans

PCut Cutting Plotter USB-Serial Device

Hello Ubuntu Forums,

This is my first message! I hope you can help.

I just got a PCut Cutting Plotter for use in cutting vinyl and sand blast resist stencils. Will design using inkscape and print using the Tux Plot program (http://www.securetech-ns.ca/securetech.html) or Bob Story's hpgl-distiller (http://bobstory.fortunecity.com/vinylcutter.html).

But first I need to get the plotter to respond to something, anything, that I send it. When I plug the plotter in to a USB port the device seems to be detected and registered correctly but I haven't gotten any response from the plotter by either piping directly or setting up a RAW cups printer.

Any ideas on what I'm missing? Thanks.

I'm hoping to avoid having to get my hands on a windows machine to see how things work there.

Here's all the gory detail:

--------------------------------------
    ***When I plug the USB from the plotter in to the computer
    $ dmesg
    [42999.312037] usb 5-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
    [42999.490413] usb 5-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [42999.635294] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
    [42999.635316] USB Serial support registered for generic
    [42999.635356] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
    [42999.635359] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
    [42999.652709] USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
    [42999.652779] ftdi_sio 5-2:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
    [42999.652820] usb 5-2: Detected FT232BM
    [42999.652824] usb 5-2: Number of endpoints 2
    [42999.652827] usb 5-2: Endpoint 1 MaxPacketSize 64
    [42999.652830] usb 5-2: Endpoint 2 MaxPacketSize 64
    [42999.652832] usb 5-2: Setting MaxPacketSize 64
    [42999.654488] usb 5-2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [42999.654527] usbcore: registered new interface driver ftdi_sio
    [42999.654532] ftdi_sio: v1.5.0:USB FTDI Serial Converters Driver

$ lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

$ udevadm info -q all -n /dev/ttyUSB0
    P: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0
    N: ttyUSB0
    S: char/188:0
    S: serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.3-usb-0:2:1.0-port0
    S: serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_USB__-__Serial-if00-port0
    E: UDEV_LOG=3
    E: DEVPATH=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/usb5/5-2/5-2:1.0/ttyUSB0/tty/ttyUSB0
    E: MAJOR=188
    E: MINOR=0
    E: DEVNAME=/dev/ttyUSB0
    E: SUBSYSTEM=tty
    E: ID_PORT=0
    E: ID_PATH=pci-0000:00:1d.3-usb-0:2:1.0
    E: ID_VENDOR=FTDI
    E: ID_VENDOR_ENC=FTDI
    E: ID_VENDOR_ID=0403
    E: ID_MODEL=USB__-__Serial
    E: ID_MODEL_ENC=USB\x20\x3c-\x3e\x20Serial
    E: ID_MODEL_ID=6001
    E: ID_REVISION=0400
    E: ID_SERIAL=FTDI_USB__-__Serial
    E: ID_TYPE=generic
    E: ID_BUS=usb
    E: ID_USB_INTERFACES=:ffffff:
    E: ID_USB_INTERFACE_NUM=00
    E: ID_USB_DRIVER=ftdi_sio
    E: ID_IFACE=00
    E: ID_VENDOR_FROM_DATABASE=Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
    E: ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
    E: DEVLINKS=/dev/char/188:0 /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.3-usb-0:2:1.0-port0 /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_USB__-__Serial-if00-port0

---------------------------------
    ***Try to pipe to device directly:
    $ cat at.hpg
    IN; ; <***or IN:***>
    PS7000,5000;
    SP1PA1000,100PD2500,100
    PU650,1150PD1000,1150PU650,450PD1000,450
    PU1000,100PD1000,1500,2500,1500
    AT3200,800,2500,100PU3200,900PD
    AT3300,800,3200,700PU3300,800PD3500,800
    PUSP0PG

$ cat at.hpg > /dev/ttyUSB0
    <***nothing***>

----------------------------------
    ***Try to sent to CUPs printer with Device URI:
    serial:/dev/ttyUSB0?baud=9600
    usb:/dev/ttyUSB0

***I get status message "Printer "PCut" may not be connected"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: PCut Cutting Plotter USB-Serial Device

hi there i have been testing for the guy that has the website http://www.securetech-ns.ca/securetech.html)

and i use it it works great

ok first from your posting i cant tell what your cutter is

plug cutter in and in a term type

lsusb

then unplug cutter type same thing and post

ok i have been on uscutter site and posted alot of info under inkscape you will see it there

you have to get the cutter set up as a raw gen printer

after that your good to go but with the very low end cutters MH series i couldnt get it to do anything - try that and go from there you might have to try to add a driver
    were using a graphtec now and its very easy to set up plug in the graphtec and it pops up as a printer but no driver we set it up as a raw printer and BANG !!!! its all set up and ready to roll
    We specialize is custom work for all sports teams and any special event. we also do work for business store fronts as well as auto decals www.hometown-graphics.com http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...hicago%20LoCo/

Beans
    Distro

FTDI USB Serial Device

o i just reread your post that is the problem i had mh series and that uses the same chipset

there is a way to get it to work but it doesnt look easy i never messed with it since the graphtec worked i just sold the MH

if you get the driver for that it should work just fine
    We specialize is custom work for all sports teams and any special event. we also do work for business store fronts as well as auto decals www.hometown-graphics.com http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...hicago%20LoCo/

Beans

Thanks for the reply, happy I'm not alone in the universe.

You are at least helping me confirm the direction I need to go. "Get a driver", would that mean getting/creating a udev rule for this FDTI Serial Device Converter VENDOR_ID=0403, MODEL_ID=6001?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by damianleuthold View Post
    Thanks for the reply, happy I'm not alone in the universe.

You are at least helping me confirm the direction I need to go. "Get a driver", would that mean getting/creating a udev rule for this FDTI Serial Device Converter VENDOR_ID=0403, MODEL_ID=6001?
    yep you got it

not sure what will happen after that but that is the first step

when I plug in my Graphtec it comes up with add printer that is what ya need to have happen

not sure how much experience you have with Linux Ubuntu but if you can compile that drive I would think you should be able to make it work

If you get it to work please post how you did it it would be a help to others

Beans

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

There are linux drivers available on the FTDI website..

I haven't used them but i have used the windows drivers from here and they work fine..

Beans

hey. i'm using an older USB pcut currently. i've got it working reasonable well, but there still some tweaking required.

anyhow, i'm using inkscape for designs. then i save using the "HP Graphics Language Plot file [AutocCAD] (*.plt)". note that i'm using a bleeding edge Inkscape, though i think the repo version should work.

then i use gtkterm to send the .plt file directly to the cutter. in the serial port config of gtkterm, you should have a /dev/ttyUSB port. Make sure you set the baud etc to correspond to the cutter settings. I also need to set the flow control to either Xon/Xoff, or RTS/CTS. i think the latter works best.

i've just been plotting things so far, but i think perhaps some more tweaking will be required for cutting.

i had no luck with tuxplot. well, i couldn't setup CUPS serial port printing.

also, i didn't have any luck using inkscape_svg -> pstoedit -> hpgl-distiller.

Beans

Thanks for all the good advice and interesting to hear other's experiences. Have successfully loaded TuxPlot but still stuck on the driver. Creating a driver is above my head. Glad to see there's already a driver out there. Tried to load it but unfortunately the driver does not compile on my system.

The driver is looking in the wrong places for some of the files that it needs. I started to modify the make file so that it would find the include files, but it started getting ugly and I got intimidated. Does this sound like the right direction to go? Maybe I need to recompile the kernel?

Thx

----------------------
    The original make command:
    gcc -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include -D__SMP__ -DSMP -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.31-20-generic/drivers/usb/serial/ -O -c -o ftdi_sio.o ftdi_sio.c

Make errors:
    cc1: error: /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:11,
    from ftdi_sio.c:251:
    /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/linkage.h:5:25: error: asm/linkage.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/build/include/linux/kernel.h:15,
    from ftdi_sio.c:251:

modversions.h is here:
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic/include/config/modversions.h

Kernel.h is here:
    /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic/include/linux/kernel.h

----------------------------
    Modified make file:
    $ make
    gcc -Wall -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic/config -D__SMP__ -DSMP -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic/include/linux/modversions.h -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic/include/config/ -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.31-20-generic/drivers/usb/serial/ -O -c -o ftdi_sio.o ftdi_sio.c

New make errrors:
    $make
    cc1: error: /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.31-20-generic/include/linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory
    ftdi_sio.c:253:24: error: linux/init.h: No such file or directory
    ftdi_sio.c:254:24: error: linux/slab.h: No such file or directory
    ftdi_sio.c:256:30: error: linux/tty_driver.h: No such file or directory

Beans

yep, i'm currently finding the same issues when trying to compile the FTDI drivers. i got past the modversion issue by modifying the Rules.make file, but there are other issues.

am hoping the newer driver versions might perform more consistently, but guessing there won't be much difference.

i've attached a plt file created with inkscape. not sure what the difference is with hpgl, but this works when i send it to my pcut using gtkterm. make sure you turn the flow control to RTS/CTS.
    it should draw a circle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

for us its not so much the driver its the equipment

we had an MH series cutter that uses the serial to usb back when we had windows on that pc - it broke so we bought a Graphtec cutter and it doesn't require that driver - and from there i met a guy from Canada the one that made the software were in contact with him daily and I did allot of testing for him --

well back to what i was saying - when the graphtec is plugged into linux the OS sees it as a printer and everything gets installed on its own - but you have to set it up as a RAW printer so when the HPGL file gets sent to the cutter it does what its told to do

it kinda looks as if all the china made cutters use the same serial to usb driver - I tried to install but couldn't get it to work. I don't have that cutter any more so i cant test anything out with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast