Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favoured PDF reader?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Favoured PDF reader?

Having re-installed Karmic, I'm trying to expunge all the freedom-hating bloatware; that includes Adobe Reader.

Evince works fine, but is there a better open-source PDF reader?

(before you all shout Okular, I'm on Gnome without the stack of KDE libs installed) RC
    RobinC@Amethyst
    -----------------------
    "Life, don't talk to me about life..."

Beans
    Distro

Re: Favoured PDF reader?

xpdf, that's the one I'm using since forever.
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just use the default document viewer in Karmic...
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro

Evince works fine. Far far better than adobe.
    Acer Aspire Revo R3600 - Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, nVidia ION
    Free of Windows since :22nd Dec 07
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I find Evince works the best for me

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Evince was crap in 10.04, it was slow and bloated (forever "loading"), but I was speechless in a good way in seeing how much it has improved in 10.10. A lot faster, very smooth and renders a lot better. I have been using Foxit Linux version as my default pdf reader in 10.04 just because of its speed and anti-aliasing feature,otherwise it has very few features,-- it is a poor cousin of the windows version. Now I would happily switch back to evince, it is comparable to Foxit in terms of speed (just a little bit slower) and rendering and have more features and supports a lot more document types. Moreover it seems that Foxit Linux version is practically dead (check their forums if you are interested)

It would be nice if evince supports tabs.

Adobe is crap as ever, it is ridiculous to have to download so many megabites just to view pdf and it is slow.

You can also run the windows version of Foxit or Pdf-Xchange viewer in WINE. These are light and feature rich pdf readers that I use in Windows, unfortunately I haven't found anything like that native in Linux, I would prefer not to run windows app unless I have to.
    Last edited by beew; September 8th, 2010 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

The most powerful one is PDFeditor but the Linux version is super buggy and running under wine is not great either. Actually Open Office Graphics works fairly well save for crashing every 10 minutes or so.

My favourite is Foxit even though I have seen threads here saying it won't run under Linux. It works perfectly in Puppy Linux and pretty well in Ubuntu. Copy and paste are a little weird as you sometimes have to select all and cnt -c then cnt-v to paste but it always works somehow. It is fast and almost never crashes.

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/des.../download.html

Beans
    Distro

Frank: agree about PDF Editor, very slow while it tries to pick its way through PDF layers (and fails most of the time). Gave up on it.

Tried Foxit for Linux, my review:
    http://catlingmindswipe.blogspot.com...for-linux.html

Foxit for Linux 1.1 has been out for a while (2009?) Very simple but crippled compared to the Windows version. I don't use WINE.

Looks like the much improved Evince is the favourite for now... RC
    RobinC@Amethyst
    -----------------------
    "Life, don't talk to me about life..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Favoured PDF reader?

I prefer the Meercat (10,10), I've tried 11.4 and i'm not too sure I like Unity (just old-fashioned). I'll get used to it eventually. I'm also having a problem connecting to my wi-fi through this upgrade and eventually admitted defeat and re-installed my previous edition (10.10) again. Any help would be good since I do need to move on though I fancy Windows 3 and Firefox 4 is cool too! I might dual boot this main PC with Linux Mint 11 when it comes out as I want to use Libre-office and firefox4 again!
    Terabyte1

Non sibi sed omnibus = "Not for oneself but for all."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I started using Evince a few weeks ago and like most of it. I'd like to see some other features such as tabs and a way to close a file without closing the program. That is a pain when you are reading a series of PDFs. So far it is better than any other reader I've tried including Adobe. I've been using it to catch up on all the back issues of FCM which I had missed.
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast