Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't get rid of openoffice3.1

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: can't get rid of openoffice3.1

Quote Originally Posted by peterroots View Post
    I installed openoffice 3.2 from the ooo website (64 bit this time)
    I then installed the debian menu integration package
    What do you mean? Have you installed the menus with the desktop-integration package or another package?
    Ubuntu user # 14396

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Peterroots,

Instead of apt-get remove, try apt-get purge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is not an ideal solution, and it may not be of any use at all in your circumstances:

To the best of my knowledge, Ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 works great. One option available to you is to install 10.04 beta, which doesn't include openoffice 3.1 at all.

I am running Lubuntu 10.04 on my machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hagar - as you suggested I installed the core packages then the desktop integration for debian (that was included in the OOo download)

Jimmers - after the most recent reversion I tried apt-get remove openoffice*.* --purge so I will see what happens next!!

Julianb - I might try this on my laptop but not for the work computers, I depend on them remaining stable but thanks it is good to know it is working for you.

Chame_wizzard - I have had the ppa active for weeks and had nothing show up so about 2 weeks ago I removed it from my sources.list as various posts kept saying 'any day now' and nothing ever happened. Today I tried re enabling it and this time update picked up OOo3.2 so I am trying an install right now - if it works that will be great. Still leaves a mystery as to 'why?' though and does not help anyone who does not like the Ubuntuised version of OOo (there always seems to be something in it that upsets someone!

Still, what ever happens, in a month or so it won't be an issue as I can upgrade all my machines to the next LTS version anyway

Thanks All for you help and suggestions
    Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Talking Re: can't get rid of openoffice3.1

You should enable all options in the USC software sources(multiverse universe repositories etc,all kinds of updates,daily notifications,statics).
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The install from ppa went ok - I prefer the look of the OOo version (I expect I can change that though) but as long as it works and as long as 3.1 stays gone then I am happy
    Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12