Thread: No network connection in 10.04

Beans

No network connection in 10.04

Up until the update last night my 10.04 install has worked pretty well. I haven't had any problems at all with network connections. Now I cannot figure out how to sign in to my wireless. I guess I haven't tried wired, but when I click on my network thing in the upper right, I just get that it is disabled.

Can I just enable it via command line?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No network connection in 10.04

I booted this morning and my network was disabled, required a right click on the network icon and a tick the the 'enable' box.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

This could possibly be Bug #497533?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    I booted this morning and my network was disabled, required a right click on the network icon and a tick the the 'enable' box.
    Man do I feel like an idiot...I thought I had tried that, but apparently I didn't.

Everything is working great now. Thanks!

quick question....if I am just doing upgrades each day on alpha, will I pretty much have the beta installed by now, or would I just need to go get the beta ISO?

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Peter09 View Post
    i'm still looking at that missing icon, how to show it ?

Beans

Question Re: No network connection in 10.04

I`ve just installed Kubuntu,everything works well except network connection. I have a standart wired connection trough the router. Win7 works well. Wired connection on other computer with 10.04 also works well. Do you have any suggestions what problem it could be?

Beans

Networking disabled by default in 10.04

I have had the issue for a few days: "Networking enabled" is not checked on startup of the system, you would need to right-click and check it before any networking (wireless, wired) would be activated. This was persistent across reboots.

While I cannot say when that problem was introduced (I don't restart the machine every day), it seems to be solved after applying today's updates (Lucid x64 / Gnome).

Beans

I updated 10.04 over a week ago, and since then I cannot get a network connection. I have tried all the choices I get from clicking or right-clicking the network icon in the taskbar, and repeatedly configured a new wired network connection, but it never gets enabled. Choosing earlier kernels with GRUB gives same results. Dual-booted Windows 7 has no problems, so hardware is not failing. Without network how could I update to a fix?

EDIT: Now, 2 days later, without making any changes to the Ubuntu configuration, I logged into Ubuntu again and networking had no problems. I updated the 12-day-old distro, and networking still works.

(This is on a Sony VAIO CW notebook -- some new hardware that Linux had not seen before January 2010. Ubuntu reps at Southern California Linux Expo ran a suite of tests on it and found a number of issues that they wanted to see addressed in 10.04, but networking was not one of them.)
    Last edited by bigpup; April 18th, 2010 at 09:19 PM.

Beans

2.6.33 and later kernel versions have correct ethernrt drivers