Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Virus Software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Anti-Virus Software?

I know that it's practically impossible to get a virus in Ubuntu, but just for S&Gs is there any anti virus software that works with Ubuntu to scan for viruses?

Beans

Re: Anti-Virus Software?

Clamav is in the repository, so can be installed with Synaptic Package Manger, and most of the "big" anti virus vendors do linux version. AVG and Avast do free versions also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Keep your important files in HOSTS when ubuntu is installed with WUBI
    How to install ANYTHING in Ubuntu!
    'No PUB KEY' error? Try this!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Wink Re: Anti-Virus Software?

In any Case The virus File which is downloaded in Linux won't be execute thus the virus won't affect unless it has be executed via Windows... So if the Virus lands in a NTFS/FAt partition and then which is executed in Windows and again you come back to Linux Clamv will detect it...

Elsewise Clamv is a good virus scanner and deleter... infact i Scan my Windows partitions via it only and don't use any antivirus in the Windows and All my windows are Running Perfect for past 3 yrs
    After Endless Roots and Hackintosh, I have stopped flaunting my Medals. That doesn't mean I don't like the fight; but I do for the Kick of it.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the tip jskandhari

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Give Bitdefender a try:-
    What is BitDefender ?

BitDefender is a program to check for Windows viruses and malware. It can be run in the background or on demand when required. Once installed it can be found under Applications - Systems Tools. It can be used as an alternative to clamav/clamtk.
    Installation

Add the repository by going to System - Administration - Software Sources, click on the 'Third Party Software' tab. Now click on 'Add' and enter
    deb http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/ bitdefender non-free Click on 'Close' and press 'Reload' when prompted. Ignore the 'No repository key' error (if displayed). Now in Applications - Accessories - Terminal add the repository key:
    wget http://download.bitdefender.com/repos/deb/bd.key.asc sudo apt-key add bd.key.asc Now update the apt cache with
    sudo apt-get update Install the graphical interface and command line program with
    sudo apt-get install bitdefender-scanner-gui Once complete you now need to log out and log back in again. a menu shortcut will be generated (Applications - System Tools - BitDefender Scanner).
    Before running the scanner it's probably best to install the latest virus/malware signatures by clicking on the 'Update' button.

You have to have a license key:
    download from http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-8...or-Unices.html, which has an orange download button which takes you to a page where you complete the details for a free licence. You must supply a real email address because the actual download link and free licence key will be emailed to you.

Hope it helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I personally like klamav. You can get it through synaptic. It's made by clamav just a little more user friendly.
    If it ain't broke! Don't fix it???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try virus scanner i from ubuntu software center.
    Linux Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit
    2gb ram ddr3
    Intel(R)Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 2.2Ghz
    Ati HD3650

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Dear Sirs, After runing Clamv, I get the following warning/ virus:
    PUA.JS.Xored,

what can we do to avoid that?

thank you