Thread: Meerkat or other desktops suspending

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Meerkat or other desktops suspending

Curious if other desktop users and Meerkat users specifically are using suspend, and/or if they are having any problems doing so.

Tom has told me that System76 does not specifically test for suspend capability on desktops, just laptops, so I need to throw this to the users here.

A friend, on my recommendation, got a new Meerkat Ion, and at first it would suspend with a Ctrl-Alt-Del, and come back from suspend using the anykey without asking for a password. My friend is a new linux/ubuntu user and he now says it won't suspend, or come back from suspend without asking for a password.

I'm having trouble figuring out just what he is reporting, and I won't be able to be at his keyboard for a week or more. The suspend from the menu (top right) would suspend, but require a password to log back on, hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del would bring up a similar menu, and not require a password last I was there, but now he says it's not working at all.

Anyone out there using suspend on a Meerkat and able to wake it up without using a password/login?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Meerkat or other desktops suspending

You could try running...

gconf-editor

...and going to Apps > gnome-power-manager > lock and making sure the suspend checkbox is NOT selected. See screenshot (it's selected by default there).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Meerkat or other desktops suspending

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    You could try running...

gconf-editor

...and going to Apps > gnome-power-manager > lock and making sure the suspend checkbox is NOT selected. See screenshot (it's selected by default there).
    I sent him the above instructions as well as a link to this thread. I wanted to get that done this morning, as I only have a few hours of internet left, then won't be able to get on-line until I hit Hong Kong day after tomorrow.

Looking at the setup on the Darter, the only thing I have checkmarked there is gnome_keyring_suspend, and it's working just as he would want it to.

I also decided to go ahead and add gconf-editor to the preferences menu on my machine while I was at it.