Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: File Sharing And Torrent Websites Now Legal In Spain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: File Sharing And Torrent Websites Now Legal In Spain

There was an interesting Panorama episode on the BBC last night looking at the Digital Economy Bill, piracy, etc.

What keeps coming out, which the music industry seems to ignore, is that people who regularly download music illegally actually buy more music on average too. I know there are other industries, and this isn't really about that, but the example is a pretty strong case for illegal downloads. Especially considering companies like Adobe, who also benefit from illegal copies of Photoshop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    http://law-ref.org/BERN/article9.html
    I really don't think P2P sharing can by any strech of the imagination be considered a special case. Therefore, this Spanish judge violated international law. Or hte article you link to makes unreasonable conclusions. Probably the latter. I don't see any mention of downloading copyrighted work in its quote of the judgment, just that P2P in itself is not illegal.
    Oh noes the international law! Run!

BTW I would like to see the original source too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is indeed an interesting concept.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

I really don't think P2P sharing can by any strech of the imagination be considered a special case.
    In Spanish law, and in most continental Europe, private copying is one of this special cases. There is even a levy to cover it.

This is why it was so important that no monetary profit was made by any side. P2P is then just another way (nothing special) of making a private copy, totally legal within Spain (and Portugal, and France, and Germany,...).

It's not the first, nor likely the last sentence of this kind in Spain.

This situation is not useful to big torrent sites like *********, as they have a clear revenue (ads).

Beans

The big media corporations, amongst other interested corpies want P2P to be made illegal, to protect their interests.

We all know that.

They are trying hard in Oz, but the public backlash may very well cause the internet censorship bill not to be implemented (fingers crossed) here at this time, by this government.

I cheer the Spanish court, for making the public statement that basically says P2P is not to blame. =D>

Beans

File sharing just became legal in Spain, changing the rules on what is legal, and what is fair.

In a court ruling that will surely shake the Spanish and European legal scene for years to come, a Spanish judge has today declared not only that sites containing links to copyrighted information are legal, but that torrenting copyrighted information for non-profit reasons is also inside of the law.

If you think that we are in some way confused, or kidding, here is a quote from the judge in question:

“P2P networks are mere conduits for the transmission of data between Internet users, and on this basis they do not infringe rights protected by Intellectual Property laws”

It is hard to confuse what that means. Provided that the sharer of the information is not profiting (garnering any revenues whatsoever), off of the transfer, then the action is legal now in Spain according to this new precedent.
    Not exactly correct (the article you quote is to blame, not you): file sharing didn't just become legal, it always has been.

The judge came out with this because of (another) legal attack on P2P in Spain by the recording industry, and (as before) a judge ruled that there's nothing illegal about just linking to copyrighted content (ie bt tracking sites), or with file sharing software.
    According to laws, most other countries should theoretically rule the same if challenged, but the courts of quite a few have misguidedly said otherwise.

Spain goes a step further and says (and have said since at least June 2009) that sharing copyrighted stuff for personal use is ok.
    Which is nice, IMHO, but surprising, and not really in line with most of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    http://law-ref.org/BERN/article9.html
    I really don't think P2P sharing can by any strech of the imagination be considered a special case. Therefore, this Spanish judge violated international law. Or hte article you link to makes unreasonable conclusions. Probably the latter. I don't see any mention of downloading copyrighted work in its quote of the judgment, just that P2P in itself is not illegal.
    I think the point is that non-profit sharing for personal use is the special case, in Spain at least.
    For info showing copyrighted sharing is ok in Spain see the two links below.

Quote Originally Posted by Grenage View Post
    I am struggling to see how this allows people to download copyright material for non-profit use; am I missing something?
    To me, it just looks like a statement of the obvious: Torrents and other P2P networks are not 'illegal', they are just means of transferring data. It doesn't cover what is being transferred.
    Yes two different issues, but Spain has said sharing networks are legal AND sharing copyrighted material for personal use is legal.
    Last edited by Jarmen_Deffs; March 17th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.

Beans

The File Sharing And Torrent Websites do not hold copy right content. they are only the middle man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12