Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Windows 7 just Vista SP2?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Is Windows 7 just Vista SP2?

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    The fact that there are Vista programs that are incompatible with it, would make the answer a resounding no.
    That's not enough. For example, Windows XP SP2 broke many apps that worked fine in XP SP1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brian mcgee View Post
    That's not enough. For example, Windows XP SP2 broke many apps that worked fine in XP SP1.
    Those apps were probably designed for win 98, me or 2k. The program xpadder was released for XP. Vista was incompatible, so they released a version for Vista. This version that was designed for Vista is now incompatible with Windows 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Hinkley View Post
    I heard the claim that Windows 7 was just Vista SP2, and that the differences were all cosmetic.
    If by "cosmetic", you mean appearances only, having used both Vista and Win7 extensively, I can attest that is NOT true...

I specifically have a Tablet PC that performed awful under Vista, even to the degree that some hardware would NOT work, but under Win7, ALL the hardware works and the performance in on par with what it was when it ran XP.

I also have a desktop system that ran Vista and under Win7, uses less memory, runs faster, and, for the first time, hibernates and sleeps without any recovery problems!

So, if the changes were only "cosmetic", none of the improvements I have seen would have happened.

You asked a question; I gave you an honest answer -- based on actual experience.

I'm sure you'll get other, very different, answers.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

But of course, if all you want to do is mindlessly bash anything Windows without actually understanding anything, then yes, 7 is just Vista SP2.. even though there already exists a SP2 for Vista and it is nothing like 7.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Queue29 View Post
    But of course, if all you want to do is mindlessly bash anything Windows without actually understanding anything, then yes, 7 is just Vista SP2.. even though there already exists a SP2 for Vista and it is nothing like 7.
    This. O_o

I've got Vista on my HTPC, since I was having a hell of a time getting the TV Tuner working with Ubuntu. It runs fine for what it does. I had it on my desktop before installing 7 and for the most part 7 seems to be a bit less of a resource hog and is faster to boot and recover from sleep/hibernation.

It's idling at around a gig of RAM used, Vista took around 1.5-2Gig.

It Works for Me(tm).
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    Those apps were probably designed for win 98, me or 2k. The program xpadder was released for XP. Vista was incompatible, so they released a version for Vista. This version that was designed for Vista is now incompatible with Windows 7.
    Sorry, I should have included some links. WinXP SP2 broke many then new (e.g. Photoshop CS) and old apps:

My point is pretty limited in scope actually. I'm only saying that the existence of application incompatibilities between Service Packs or between major versions of Windows does not necessarily mean anything. I don't know enough about the differences between 7 and Vista to say whether 7 is really "just a Service Pack".

However, I do know that Vista's codebase is more similar to 7's than XP's. I also know that MS was eager to shed the burden of Vista's bad reputation. These points don't prove anything, but they're consistent with the just-a-Service-Pack-theory.

PS: love the signature

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

type "dxdiag" in search bar in Win 7 and see the version--do the same in Vista--they are all v6 of windows and not 7; so there is some truth about Win 7 being just a special upgrade of vista.. just my 2c.
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by brian mcgee View Post
    And SP3 of XP broke my main desktop until I discovered that a patch was needed on some Compaq/HP machines with AMD processors for it to work.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe View Post
    type "dxdiag" in search bar in Win 7 and see the version--do the same in Vista--they are all v6 of windows and not 7; so there is some truth about Win 7 being just a special upgrade of vista.. just my 2c.
    Check XP its a fork of w2k if you go that way.

W2k 5.0

XP 5.1

Vista 6.0

W7 6.1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe the biggest difference between Vista and 7 is that 7 had better marketing?

In the end, no matter what version, Windows is still just Windows.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast