View Poll Results: Have you clicked on the wrong thing since the window control switch?

Voters
772. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have clicked on the wrong thing multiple times

406 52.59%
  • Yes, I have clicked on the wrong thing but only once

68 8.81%
  • No, I haven't but I fear others may click on the wrong thing

34 4.40%
  • No, I haven't clicked on the wrong thing

185 23.96%
  • The controls switched? I hadn't noticed

19 2.46%
  • Other (please explain)

60 7.77%
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you clicked on the wrong thing since the window control switch?

Keyper7 is offline Skinny Soy Caramel Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Have you clicked on the wrong thing since the window control switch?

Quote Originally Posted by 23meg View Post
    The real problem is that there's a certain disconnect between most of the UX&D team at Canonical and the broader community (that's to be expected with a new team of this kind with no real precedent). There's also no real community extension of that team, the way there are community teams around most other Ubuntu-related teams at Canonical (Desktop, Server, QA, etc.), and no set of guidelines or community structures defining how people can work with the team.
    The overall impression is that the design team seems a little disconnected from the rest of Canonical itself. Even we consider only the world of developers, Ubuntu Members and Canonical employees. No one in Planet Ubuntu save from Mark and Ivanka Majic seemed to be inside of all facts. It is one thing if, say, the kernel team has no idea of what's happening around the design team, but knowing that even Matthew Paul Thomas didn't know anything about the reasoning behind the button change was quite surprising to me. I'm not saying he was obliged to, but a little more sharing between the design team and a guy who, you know, designs interfaces and makes usability studies for Ubuntu was expected.

As for the poll, I agree it's probably not very useful. When I decided to get rid of my taskbar and rely only on the Compiz scale plugin to switch tasks, I spent a considerable adapting. It was totally worth it, but accidental clicks were common occurences in the beggining. And yes, there's so much heat in the current situation that I expect blatant lying from voters in the hope that this poll will influence someone. I don't really blame them, but skewed is probably a weak word to describe what will happen to this poll.
    Last edited by Keyper7; March 15th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.

Beans

When the buttons on the left are adjusted to mirror what was on the right it seems to make more sense
    (and easier to get used to - close, max, min

also this little app as noted here works quite well, easy to use and could be put in a menu quite easily

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Mark Shuttleworth wants to know if folks have clicked on the wrong thing since the switch of the window controls from the right to the left.

I'm also curious to know.

More details here:
    Location of Window Buttons
    No because I could stand it for about 3 minutes only and then went googling for a solution for the button problem...

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    When the buttons on the left are adjusted to mirror what was on the right it seems to make more sense
    (and easier to get used to - close, max, min

also this little app as noted here works quite well, easy to use and could be put in a menu quite easily
    Except that it looks really ugly if you put minimize/maximize in the correct order

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by katie-xx View Post
    One of the things I value about Ubuntu is the ability to configure to my own tastes and desires.
    Yes, but this isn't easily done (at present) for most users, especially newer users. Personally, I haven't used the Metacity WM in quite some time so this "feature" hasn't affected me at all.

Anyway, I strongly suspect that this entire issue will become moot soon as I seriously doubt that this feature will be retained in the final release. However, I can certainly envision a GUI option to change the button position in a future release, probably Lucid +1.
    -
    -- Leisa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I voted other as i switched them back to normal. This usually breaks the design. Therefore, i use the Dust Sand buttons which go nicely with Radiance. You can see how hardcoded the position is in (at least my) brain as those buttons don’t even indicate what they do. (See here f.ex.: http://gabuntu.files.wordpress.com/2...-large_003.jpg)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Keyper7 View Post
    And yes, there's so much heat in the current situation that I expect blatant lying from voters in the hope that this poll will influence someone. I don't really blame them, but skewed is probably a weak word to describe what will happen to this poll.
    If Mark Shuttleworth says he wants to hear from folks who accidentally clicked on something, he's supposedly trusting folks to express their true experiences.

It doesn't make sense to say "Who has had a problem with this?" "Oh, you all have? Well, you must be lying then just so I'll change it." Seriously.

Keyper7 is offline Skinny Soy Caramel Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    If Mark Shuttleworth says he wants to hear from folks who accidentally clicked on something, he's supposedly trusting folks to express their true experiences.

It doesn't make sense to say "Who has had a problem with this?" "Oh, you all have? Well, you must be lying then just so I'll change it." Seriously.
    I didn't say he will believe that.

I said I believe that.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'll have to be truthful that I've only clicked on the wrong icon once, but I do have to think about it every time before I click. I'm just too darn old to learn new tricks. I grew up with windows, and I'm not likely to change my habits. I do enjoy thumbing my nose at MS by using Ubuntu though.
    Last edited by lwrver; March 15th, 2010 at 11:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I chose "other" because the first thing I did when it happened was change it back.

My concern is for users, particularly new ones, who will be A: freaked out by the window control buttons being on the "wrong" (subjective, I know, but face it, people are creatures of habit, and unless there are really compelling reasons to change those habits, most people don't want to) side, and B: really freaked out by the need to "get under the hood" to change it back.

If the change is to be kept, there should be a completely gui way (and by that, I mean with an easily accessible menu with radio button choices, not drilling down through gconf and making what most will perceive as a registry edit) to change it back.

I have to wonder how the businesses that have switched to Ubuntu would react to this change...
    BootInfoScript - Thanks, meierfra & caljohnsmith

Remastersys - Thanks, Fragadelic

Beans

I'm going to install Lucid when beta 1 comes out, wait until I have (accidentally) clicked the wrong thing twice, then I'll vote, and finally I'll switch the order, thus confusing myself and still being able to vote honestly.

P.S. Is the poll in 'Location of Window Buttons' still open?

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast