Thread: Flash Drive Changes Name on backup

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Flash Drive Changes Name on backup

Hello all,

I'm having an interesting problem, and I'm not sure what the root of it is.

I'm running Xubuntu 9.10 on an older machine. I've got a flash drive (called "TF_FLASH") plugged into a USB hub. I am using simplebackup to backup my documents (I'm writing my thesis and that is really the only important thing on this computer).

The problem I am having is this: simplebackup will run and backup my files once or twice (I have it set up to go overnight). After that, though, the name of the flash drive changes (from "TF_FLASH" to "TF_FLASH_" - note the extra underscore at the end). So, simplebackup cannot find the drive. If I go into the settings of simplebackup and change the backup destination to "TF_FLASH_" it will work once or twice, but the drive will change to "TF_FLASH__" - again an additional underscore.

I don't know if the name change is being caused by Xubuntu, simplebackup, or some other method. The USB hub is a cheap one, but I don't think that's the problem (my mouse is plugged in and continues to function, etc.). Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    -Tim F.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Flash Drive Changes Name on backup

Hmm so I've been poking around using GParted. It looks like the label is staying the same ("TF_FLASH") but the mount point is changing (to "TF_FLASH_").

In my /media/ folder, there is both a "TF_FLASH" and a "TF_FLASH_".

Any thoughts?