Thread: iPod syncing with gtkpod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

iPod syncing with gtkpod

Hello,
    I have ubuntu 9.10 and I also have a iPod nano. when i plug my ipod in, I open gtkpod and it ask's me what ipod model. i tell it that it is a nano 4gb silver, and then i opens and shows me all my songs. however, when add a song and click the save changes button, it say that the ipod is a read-only directory. I have tryed Rythmbox as well and I get something simmilar. Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: iPod syncing with gtkpod

Call Apple and tell them they suck <insert vulgar expletive here>! Because it's their fault; they broke your ipod on purpose.

Then install virtualbox and windows xp and then your itunes software in the virtual machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: iPod syncing with gtkpod

Hi! I had this problem with an external hard drive I used to use with Windows (I use a dual boot.) I solved the problem by backing up the data on it onto another hard drive and formating it (in Windows.) Then I restored the data onto it and reloaded Linux, and it read the volume as read/write instead of just read.

I'm not quite sure why it did that, but it worked for me with my external HD, so you might try it with your iPod if nothing else works (be sure to reinstall the iPod firmware via iTunes before loading Linux.)

You might also try formating it via a Mac (borrow one from a friend?) and using the same method if the Windows one doesn't work.

I'm not 100% sure this would work with an iPod, though, so only try it if you bought the insurance. ^^; I once killed an iPod with experiments like this (involving RockBox, which no one ever told me would blast my model.)

If I were you and I had insurance on the iPod, though, I'd give it a try.

Beans

Yes, call Apple and tell them they're control freaks. See if they listen (probably not).

Formatting your iPod will not help, it will more likely just fry it. I do know you need to do something special to your iPod (for the iPod Touch this something special was jailbreaking it) before you can use it with gtkpod. Apple otherwise makes sure they're *pods only sync with iTunes, which is conveniently not available for Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Would Downgrading the firmware from 1.2 to 1.0 work? I may be getting rid of it anyway and upgrade if the iTouch will work in linux. I live in a mac-linux world and I am trying to go completly linux

Beans

You might wanna look here http://libimobiledevice.org/ and try with Ifuse.

I use it with an Ipod Touch 3g and if you can stand the slow transfer rate it works beautifully.