Thread: People need to let it all out sometimes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

People need to let it all out sometimes

Been reading a closed post about how forum conduct is/was degrading and suggested steps to deal with it. My suggestion is very simple. Create a sub-forum called SLAM where people can be derisive to each other with the following conditions.

1. No gang slamming
    2. What happens in SLAM stays in SLAM
    3. Prevent SLAM from being spidered by search engines
    4. Only viewable by registered members
    5. Basic forum rules still apply with the exception of sarcasm as humor
    6. You can't SLAM anyone who does not register to be part of the sub-forum
    7. No serious discussions
    8. No personal attacks - witty sarcasm would be expected by anyone joining
    9. Self acknowledgement before joining

If people want to let off steam they must be willing to get burned. That's why a proper self deprecation in one's first post would be mandatory. This would be a lot of fun for anyone who has the need to be stupid.

Please let me know your thoughts... any and all... funny sarcasm directed at me acceptable... being stupid is not a choice, it's a way of life...
    Profit is a Necessary Element of Philanthropy.

Beans

Re: People need to let it all out sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Mike View Post
    This would be a lot of fun...
    No it wouldn't. Period.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Mike View Post
    Been reading a closed post about how forum conduct is/was degrading and suggested steps to deal with it. My suggestion is very simple. Create a sub-forum called SLAM where people can be derisive to each other with the following conditions.

1. No gang slamming
    2. What happens in SLAM stays in SLAM
    3. Prevent SLAM from being spidered by search engines
    4. Only viewable by registered members
    5. Basic forum rules still apply with the exception of sarcasm as humor
    6. You can't SLAM anyone who does not register to be part of the sub-forum
    7. No serious discussions
    8. No personal attacks - witty sarcasm would be expected by anyone joining
    9. Self acknowledgement before joining

If people want to let off steam they must be willing to get burned. That's why a proper self deprecation in one's first post would be mandatory. This would be a lot of fun for anyone who has the need to be stupid.

Please let me know your thoughts... any and all... funny sarcasm directed at me acceptable... being stupid is not a choice, it's a way of life...
    Hi and there are other places to vent. Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct
    Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I realize there are other places to vent, but many of the people here know each other and interact with each other here. Their reasons for frustration often originate here at this forum. If I wish to have a conversation with someone from the forums that is a little out of bounds I could invite them to join me, but if I initiate the post I must be willing to be critical of myself first.

I'm not talking about throwing the rules out, just allowing some people to air their issues without being too serious about it. Dealing directly with a source of frustration is an effective way of resolving issues. Cathartic frustration reduction is temporary and often leads to renewed frustration (stress) at a higher level.

The other major point here is that statements that should not be made in the general forums will always happen. Having a place to resolve issues etc. would help keep the dirty laundry private and possibly reduce the workload for admins.

This method may not be the best way to go, but I think it outlines a need here.

edit: Please note: the reason I've suggest a forum not totally private vs direct messaging is that people will be aware that their statements are observed and moderated. A reasonable code of conduct will still be expected, and some insight for users and observers may be gained. Again, I hope people can offer constructive comments on this subject.
    Last edited by Doctor Mike; March 14th, 2010 at 05:40 PM. Reason: additional info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We once had a subforum like that and it was an abysmal failure, causing more problems than the rest of the forums combined.

Feel free to start a blog and vent as you like. You could also start your own forum and vent there and invite others to do so.

All posts on this forum are required to stay within the boundaries of the Forum CoC. This is not going to change.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    We once had a subforum like that and it was an abysmal failure, causing more problems than the rest of the forums combined.

Feel free to start a blog and vent as you like. You could also start your own forum and vent there and invite others to do so.

All posts on this forum are required to stay within the boundaries of the Forum CoC. This is not going to change.
    I agree and add that it tends to spill over into the rest of the Forum as past experience has proven. It simply is just not worth the greif.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I agree and add that it tends to spill over into the rest of the Forum as past experience has proven. It simply is just not worth the greif.
    I think I get the point. Theory might have value, but practical application requires too much pain and is worse than no solution at all. By the way I have no issues to vent. It was my impression from reading the forums that many others do. I think I' mark this as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i don't know... ubuntu forums has always been abnormally polite in my experience, and most of the time instigators are ignored anyway. If you really need to vent and start a flamewar or something, go to 4chan for christ's sake.

I just had a post the other day where i set up a poll about media players and said from the beginning that it was of course done before but that i wanted an updated list and some current opinions, as well as newcomers to the field. Here's what happened (and how I responded, because I was in a sour mood):

I may have overreacted, but I felt justified considering I had already said not to complain about it. This guy hasn't posted again. And, mind you, this is the most annoying thing that has ever happened to me on these forums, which speaks volumes about the general courtesy.

So, all I'm saying is that people can vent on plenty of other sites across the web. In my opinion there's no reason why ubuntuforums, which mainly serves as a support base, should have to accommodate people's personal issues.
    Thinkpad T61 (6459-CTO) + mods

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    we once had a subforum like that and it was an abysmal failure, causing more problems than the rest of the forums combined.

All posts on this forum are required to stay within the boundaries of the forum coc. This is not going to change.
    Yes. This. He said it better, and in fewer words.
    Thinkpad T61 (6459-CTO) + mods