Thread: Age old question... playing from my hard drive instead of disc

Beans

Age old question... playing from my hard drive instead of disc

i am such a noob but i admit it freely. i can learn some complex things yet the basics seems foreign to me. my memory is not as good as i would like (although it is actually getting much better through practice [i am 51 years old too]) so retaining the basics is difficult to me.

well enough about me...

how do i go about putting a game on my hard drive so that i can play from there and not have to keep using the disc for that purpose? which program would work best to rip the game and then what commands do i need to do to change the game to look on my hard drive to get into the game info? or if it is all done on terminal (which i should figure is best already), what are the command lines needed to do what i would like?

thanks in advance...
    Oh life SUX when you actually "need" windows ... WoW works great on ubuntu 9.10 with the newest beta wine 1.1.40

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Age old question... playing from my hard drive instead of disc

It depends very much on the game as there are many different ways about which game developers go in making their games.

Generally speaking with commercial games, ones that I run through wine on linux anyway is I to do a full install and then find what is commonly called a nocd crack, google will help you find them, there is one site in particular that has a very large comprehensive collection, I expect I'm not allowed to link to it or mention it by name.. but if you google for enough nocd cracks you will come across it. Sometimes you have to manually copy over a few files to the installation folder from the cd as well or maybe alter a config file.

You 'can' make an image of the disks in question and mount them to virtual drives, but I gave up messing about with that a few years ago as making working copies of protected disks can be difficult if not impossible, sometimes depending of what DVDROM you have as certain models will work and others will not and what software you use and what copy protection is being used.... much easier to just find a nocd crack.

Is there some game in particular you have in mind?
    Intel Duo E6600 2.40, Nvidia 9800 GTX+, 4GIG DDRII, Creative Audigy 2ZS, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Single Parent, two small children, Kettle, Toaster, Non Functioning Microwave.

Latest Desktop

Beans

hmmm... i thought that it was an easy thing cause a friend of mine did it years ago. i have not had contact with him for too many years and probably won't see him again to be able to ask. thanks anyway...
    Oh life SUX when you actually "need" windows ... WoW works great on ubuntu 9.10 with the newest beta wine 1.1.40

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Two good sites for no cd cracks are <on the internet>
    Last edited by Elfy; April 8th, 2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: removed cracked sites

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Please don't provide such info here jake.
    Users are more than capable of finding it themselves if they care.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Whoops sorry for the inconvenience guys ^_^