Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Desktop Lags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Remote Desktop Lags

I work at home and require a constant Remote Desktop connection to a windows machine at work.

I find the default Remote Desktop application that ships with Ubuntu to lag quite a bit, especially compared to the win7 Remote Desktop.

Win7 has settings that allow me to specify that I have a broadband internet connection, which sped things up quite a bit for me. I can't seem to find any such preference setting in Ubuntu, do such settings exist that I am not aware of?

Is there perhaps another Remote Desktop application that works better that I should be looking at.

I would love to work in Ubuntu more often but I need to resolve this issue first. I find myself in Windows most of the night as the Remote Desktop is literally twice as responsive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Remote Desktop Lags

Bump.

I think at this point I'm looking for another application that has some better connection options...

Beans

I have had a similar experience with the default Ubuntu remote desktop, sometimes it feels like a powerpoint presentation lol. I have found that using GRDC Remote Desktop Client to be much more responsive.

Also if you are doing this at work then you might find it handy to use SSH -X [username]@[ipaddress] to access your ubuntu box, because with that setup you could make it look less like you are remoting in and more like you are doing your work

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derekeverett View Post
    Bump.

I think at this point I'm looking for another application that has some better connection options...
    Use the Terminal Server Client. If things are still slow/laggy, try going to the Display tab and setting color depth to 256 colors (this only takes effect in between sessions, so you'll need to log out and back in again for changing it to make a difference).

The "Remote Desktop Viewer" sucks something fierce; I can't for the life of me understand why it was added in when the Terminal Server Client was already there and works considerably better for, well... everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dustout View Post
    I have had a similar experience with the default Ubuntu remote desktop, sometimes it feels like a powerpoint presentation lol. I have found that using GRDC Remote Desktop Client to be much more responsive.
    GRDC - Thank you for the suggestion I will try it. However, I have improved the performance of the default client significantly by changing to 256 colors.
    If at first it doesn't work.. throw a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jrssystemsnet View Post
    Use the Terminal Server Client. If things are still slow/laggy, try going to the Display tab and setting color depth to 256 colors (this only takes effect in between sessions, so you'll need to log out and back in again for changing it to make a difference).

The "Remote Desktop Viewer" sucks something fierce; I can't for the life of me understand why it was added in when the Terminal Server Client was already there and works considerably better for, well... everything.
    Changing to 256 colors has helped a great deal. Thank you!
    If at first it doesn't work.. throw a temper tantrum, rant about how it sucks, and hate it forever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrssystemsnet View Post

I have always been a sucker for defaults, "Terminal Server Client" is my new favorite thing, i cannot believe i haven't seen it until now. Thank you jrssystemsnet

Beans

Bringing this old post back to life. I don't think lowering the colors would really RESOLVE this issue. Thats kind of a trade off. Why should you lower the colors when the Win7 or XP RDP clients can RDP to other Window systems with full colors and work just perfectly? As superior Ubuntu is in ways it can't manage to connect via RDP without lagging, pausing, mouse freezing every 30-45 secs?

I have searched and googled the issue and there seems to be no resolution to this. Doesn't ANYONE know why it does that?

Very frustrating and I was hoping the latest version of Ubuntu would take care of that problem but its still there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post

Very frustrating and I was hoping the latest version of Ubuntu would take care of that problem but its still there.
    It is very frustrating.. unfortunately I have given up on using Ubuntu for the most part.. largely due to the fact that I rely on RDP for 40-60 hours every week and it just doesn't cut it.

I would love to begin using Ubuntu regularly again, but that won't happen until this issue is resolved by the good developers here or until I no longer rely on RDP.

The biggest issue I had with the Remote Desktop was the crashing. I was tolerating the lags.. and I had my color settings etc. as low as I could get them, but the RDP would just crash altogether often and I just couldn't have it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derekeverett View Post
    The biggest issue I had with the Remote Desktop was the crashing. I was tolerating the lags.. and I had my color settings etc. as low as I could get them, but the RDP would just crash altogether often and I just couldn't have it.
    I dunno what to tell you, other than that I don't share your problem. The TS Client in Ubuntu works, for me, exactly the same as Windows' RDP client does. No better, no worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast