Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Change Ubuntu 10.04 WM buttons to 9.10 placement/order

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOW TO: Change Ubuntu 10.04 WM buttons to 9.10 placement/order

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelSwengel View Post
    That's great - but it needs to be built in to the OS.
    If the change is made permanent, there must be an option, that can be found easily, for the user to change it back. if there is to be no such option available, then the buttons should be left as they are in 9.10, i.e. on the right.

I know that the button position can be changed via command line or gconf-editor, but how many users actually know this without reading threads like this? Indeed this can be done in Jaunty, and maybe earlier versions. I wouldn't have known that it was possible if the devs hadn't decided on this change. So at least one good thing has come of this, I guess.
    Last edited by dnairb; April 3rd, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
    It's time to behave now the noughties are over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by dnairb View Post
    If the change is made permanent, there must be an option, that can be found easily, for the user to change it back. if there is to be no such option available, then the buttons should be left as they are in 9.10, i.e. on the right.

I know that the button position can be changed via command line or gconf-editor, but how many users actually know this without reading threads like this? Indeed this can be done in Jaunty, and maybe earlier versions. I wouldn't have known that it was possible if the devs hadn't decided on this change. So at least one good thing has come of this, I guess.
    Exactly what I was going to say!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dnairb View Post

then I would suggest using an OS that can't be changed easily under-the-hood...the great thing about Linux is that you can customize everything about it to your liking by using tools like gconf editor and ubuntu tweak

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anechoic View Post
    then I would suggest using an OS that can't be changed easily under-the-hood...the great thing about Linux is that you can customize everything about it to your liking by using tools like gconf editor and ubuntu tweak
    That's not the point. It's great being able to customise everything, but that feature is pointless unless people know about it, and the best way to do that is to make it obvious, especially to new users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Exclamation Re: HOW TO: Change Ubuntu 10.04 WM buttons to 9.10 placement/order

Quote Originally Posted by durand View Post
    That's not the point. It's great being able to customise everything, but that feature is pointless unless people know about it, and the best way to do that is to make it obvious, especially to new users.
    Exactly!!

Having idiotic defaults that MUST be changed, even if it was trivial (and, unfortunately, it's not) is just plain dumb.

As has been mentioned already (many times), the new defaults are terrible for many reasons. They create a major overload on the left side of the window (including being too close to the menu so that accidental mis-clicks are more likely) . The buttons are NOT in the normal order, so that creates more confusion. The program icon is removed from the upper left corner (not a huge issue, but it is nice to have that visual clue when your eyes scan the display).

And yet there is not ONE single benefit that I've heard mentioned (except maybe "change", as if that's automatically a good thing).

The "change" is all BAD and not any good.
    Last edited by Slim Odds; April 3rd, 2010 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typos
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Odds View Post
    Exactly!!

Having idiotic defaults that MUST be changed, even if it was trivial (and, unfortunately, it's not) is just plain dumb.

As has been mentioned already (many times), the new defaults are terrible for many reasons. They create a major overload on the left side of the window (including being too close to the menu so that accidental mis-clicks are more likely) . The buttons are NOT in the normal order, so that creates more confusion. The program icon is removed from the upper left corner (not a huge issue, but it is nice to have that visual clue when your eyes scan the display).

And yet there is not ONE single benefit that I've heard mentioned (except maybe "change", as if that's automatically a good thing).

The "change" is all BAD and not any good.
    these are non-issues if you keep your '/home' and '/' directories on separate partitions
    I do a clean install onto my '/' part
    then reinstall all my apps using
    sudo dpkg --set-selections /home/package.selections && apt-get dselect-upgrade

hence, all my settings are untouched and the issues of where the buttons are located, color schemes,etc. are not an issue - for me at least

if you want a grandma OS then use something else?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by durand View Post
    being able to customize everything is not a 'feature', it is a core aspect of why most people use Linux

and if you don't know this about Linux then maybe you should use another OS that is more geared to your level of experience...?

Beans

that being said though, I do agree with you both in that out-of-the-box 10.04 is fugly and carries many dumb design decisions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Lightbulb Re: HOW TO: Change Ubuntu 10.04 WM buttons to 9.10 placement/order

these are non-issues if you keep your '/home' and '/' directories on separate partitions
    I do a clean install onto my '/' part
    then reinstall all my apps using
    sudo dpkg --set-selections /home/package.selections && apt-get dselect-upgrade

hence, all my settings are untouched and the issues of where the buttons are located, color schemes,etc. are not an issue - for me at least

if you want a grandma OS then use something else?
    So you think that everyone has an existing install of Ubuntu?

There are tons of people learning about Ubuntu for the first time. They shouldn't have to be subjected to these ridiculous defaults.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Distro

being able to customize everything is not a 'feature', it is a core aspect of why most people use Linux

and if you don't know this about Linux then maybe you should use another OS that is more geared to your level of experience...?
    I'm confused about where you thought I was inexperienced with linux. I can easily change the window button placement if I have to (and I did), however, a new user *will not* know how to do that, even a few google searches may not be enough to help. For this reason, you need to have an option in the default ubuntu, mainly because it is what people will be used to so they need to know about the alternatives.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast