Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucid does not support Poulsbo at all

Lucid does not support Poulsbo at all

Installing Lucid Lynx on a MSI 320 does not bring up the network, the screen defaults to 1024x768 (instead of 1300x800), wireless not recognised, SMC-device brings a constant flow of errors and timeouts (rendering the machine practically useless).

There is no way to report bugs any more (apport reports connection problems with crash database, web interface does not allow for adding bugs).

Beans

Re: Lucid does not support Poulsbo at all

Calm down, just wait until he apport issues are sorted, probably won't take long.

And you can still file bugs directly from Launchpad with +filebug.

Beans

Dont bother, the final thing on the bug listed here is 'won't fix' if you own a laptop with this driver, it's a lost cause - back to windows.

Beans

I know after all the nonsense of Quake @1080P on this chipset IN Linux it makes me seriously not want to EVER buy another Intel product again. The ultimate bait and switch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonG777 View Post
    I know after all the nonsense of Quake @1080P on this chipset IN Linux it makes me seriously not want to EVER buy another Intel product again. The ultimate bait and switch.
    It will do that all day along...in Karmic I feel a sense of defeat as I wipe Linux from the drive and load the OEM Windows 7

Beans

I think the problem here is that it's sort of out of the hands of the Intel linux crew. From the Wikipedia entry;
    Graphics core
    The Poulsbo chipset contains a graphics core developed by Imagination Technologies. Intel has licensed the PowerVR SGX as a graphics core and the PowerVR VXD for H.264/MPEG-4 AVC playback. The video core is able to process 720p as well as 1080i resolutions.

Linux support
    Although several netbooks using the Poulsbo chipset are shipped with some distribution of Linux (notably the Sony Vaio P and Dell Inspiron Mini 12, among others), Poulsbo's graphics core GMA 500 is currently not well supported by Intel for the Linux platform.

A proprietary driver was shipped with Dell's adaptation of Ubuntu 8.04.1 Netbook Remix, which provides 2D hardware acceleration (although users reported serious stability issues) under Linux kernel 2.6.24. A work in progress free driver is currently available, however the proprietary driver does not work with current Linux kernels and current versions of X. Work is under way to provide at least 2D support in current Linux kernels, although this will still rely on proprietary binary code for the 3D part of the driver. The current status of this driver runs on Fedora 10 and allows for 2D. 3D acceleration, however, is still broken.

Fedora 11 has a working driver developed.
    So while it carries the Intel brand it's a PowerVR product, and the Intel linux guys' hands are as tied as anyone else's. They get one binary blob for linux and are told to work with it.

Now, the Intel management dudes who made the decision to license that proprietary graphics chipset, *them* I have a beef with. And obviously to a greater extent Imagination Tech. for not providing support to their customers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    I think the problem here is that it's sort of out of the hands of the Intel linux crew. From the Wikipedia entry;

So while it carries the Intel brand it's a PowerVR product, and the Intel linux guys' hands are as tied as anyone else's. They get one binary blob for linux and are told to work with it.

Now, the Intel management dudes who made the decision to license that proprietary graphics chipset, *them* I have a beef with. And obviously to a greater extent Imagination Tech. for not providing support to their customers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_500_on_Linux
    GMA 500 support on Linux is not optimal. The driver is developed by Tungsten Graphics, not by Intel, and the graphic core is not an Intel one, but is licensed from PowerVR. This has led to an uncertain mix of open and closed source 3d accelerated drivers, instability and lack of support.

Ubuntu is the Linux distribution that best supports GMA500 (Poulsbo), through the use of the ubuntu-mobile repository on Launchpad. Support is present for 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and in an experimental way for 9.10, but the installation procedure is not as simple as other drivers and can lead to many bugs.[74]

Jolicloud, a linux based OS optimized for netbooks, has a driver for the GMA500 built in.

Intel releases official Linux drivers through the IEGD (Intel Embedded Graphic Driver) supporting some Linux distributions dedicated to the embedded market.

GMA500 is capable of running well in Ubuntu with Compiz visual effects activated[citation needed], and is the only Intel chipset supporting hardware accelerated video decoding (including h264) through libva-api.

In November 2009, the Linux Foundation released the details of a new, rewritten Linux driver that would support this chipset and Intel's other upcoming chipsets. The Direct Rendering Manager and X.org parts would be open source, but the 3D component (using Gallium3D) will still be closed.[75]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Tired installing lucid netbook edition beta 1 on my dell mini 10 but the gui is really slow and resolution won't set properly, shame as it works perfectly out the box on Jolicloud which is based on ubuntu

Beans

The Poulsbo driver is a disgrace

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Even good 2D & video performance would be better than nothing but as it is lucid is unusable with my mini 10, moblin is also a no-go which is a shame. Looks like I'll have to stick with Jolicloud for now, hopefully by the time lucid comes out there will be some improvement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast