Thread: Hardware for small home server....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hardware for small home server....

Hi,

I'm looking to set up a small server at home with low power consumption and a small form factor. The plan is to mainly use it as a backup server for files, so it should have space for one 3.5" drive. There are a lot of different NAS solutions available, with some built in variant of Linux, but I would like to run Ubuntu server on mine.

Do you know of some nifty hardware that might fit the bill?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Hardware for small home server....

i use a old 350mhz dell, full size =p
    Someday we'll hit the human carrying capacity. And the band will just play on. -Me

I'm trying PHP, so my code can probably be labelled "bad and insecure"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

m350 enclosure + pico power supply + one of the mini-itx intel atom boards. 3.5" drive won't fit but if you don't have a lot to backup a large 2.5" drive should work. I run this setup for an Asterisk server and it works great, makes for a nice low power server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You don't really need a whole lot of processing power to run a small home server. Hence, the above mention of a PIII; however, you might want to look into something that has low power consumption. If you're willing to work a bit with your hands, you can build a fairly inexpensive atom-powered desktop from parts on newegg. The amount of money that you save on your electric bill will at least partially offset the cost of the computer. If you want something that's already put together you can check out the Meerkat NetTop at System76. It even comes with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Beans

Throw a gig or 2 of laptop memory, a SATA drive and a CF card in an MSI Wind barebones mini-desktop (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856167032). It has a CF slot on the motherboard internally that you can use as a boot+O/S drive. Set the HDD to spin-down in 5-15 min when not used. It's Intel Atom based and uses and external 65W brick like a laptop. Runs cool and uses less power than a dim lightbulb

I've built several including a few using an adapter to put a 2nd drive in the CD bay to do RAID1 on /home (the HDDs). You can do one easily for < $200 and with a GUI-less Ubuntu on it, it will kick the *&^% out of just about every "toy" NAS box I've seen and be way more flexible and configurable.

Beans

A SheevaPlug kit isn't very expensive, and uses very little power, and has a spot for a USB drive (a USB hard drive would be good). I think one of these would be completely perfect for a home server.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Akita View Post
    Throw a gig or 2 of laptop memory, a SATA drive and a CF card in an MSI Wind barebones mini-desktop (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856167032). It has a CF slot on the motherboard internally that you can use as a boot+O/S drive. Set the HDD to spin-down in 5-15 min when not used. It's Intel Atom based and uses and external 65W brick like a laptop. Runs cool and uses less power than a dim lightbulb
    +1 -- this is what I am currently using, so far works great. I actually installed Ubuntu Server on a partition from a USB thumb drive. It took me a couple of tries to get the thing to boot from the thumb drive, but other than that minor hurdle installation went without a hitch.

Beans
    Distro

have a look at plugcomputer.org, you can connect usb drives to them and they use almost no power to run.
    Box 1 | Xubuntu 12.10 64 bit | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S3H rev2 / AMD 5900+ | 250Gb Hitachi SATA / 4Gb RAM
    Ubuntu User #14507[/U] | GPG Key 0xBE7E87FD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Server will run on just about anything. My main server is a 1.7Ghz Pentium IV with just 384Mb of RAM. It's running NFS, Samab, SSH, rTorrent with about 10Gb of torrents loaded, Squid and Apt-Cacher-NG along with some other stuff. All that at 200Mb usage. You can see more about my servers, and pictures of them here

What I would probably do is find a cheap laptop, install Ubuntu Server on it, and add extra drives through USB. Won't be the fastest, but it would be cheap and use very little power.

You could also get a small case, and an Atom board.

You might wanna have a look at some of the servers in the Show Us Your Server thread in the Cafe. Some of the servers there are just what your looking for
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!