Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: DO NOT upgrade plymouth yet..

Beans

Re: DO NOT upgrade plymouth yet..

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Yes, I was looking at launchpad to decide if any bugs fit our criteria, but none did.
    "Booting with the framebuffer renderer leaves the system at textual "login:" screen" ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...th/+bug/538214

(which is mentioned in the changelog specifically)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by keybuk View Post
    Do you see a graphical splash screen followed by the boring text "login:" screen?
    What I see when I'm dropped to VTTY1 is a quick flash of the ubuntu logo and then the login screen.

What clued me into trying VTTY7, was when I issued 'startx' it said its already running.

So Alt+F7 brought me to my already booted desktop.

BTW- I remember Steve Langasek mentioning in a previous bug I had about GDM and plymouth were "fighting" for which one got which VTTY.
    Especially if I removed splash from the boot string.
    If I do that now I get no logo and get to my dekstop. Realizing I'm missing out on advancing my boot, like you mentioned about fsck, I now leave it in, but get dropped to VTTY1 first. I have to manually do Alt+F7.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had to update mountall then install things and all worked fine.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

"Booting with the framebuffer renderer leaves the system at textual "login:" screen" ?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...th/+bug/538214

(which is mentioned in the changelog specifically)
    I read the changelog but didn't have that issue until today, so I guess I just discarded it - unless the changlog has recently changed.

Thanks for the bug report. I'll go there now.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

I am on a 64 system and updated all my installs and upgraded the throw aways and, of coarse screwed them. Popped over to my 8.04 to 10.04 test drive and did it there and everything was fine.

Came back here and saw this thread and checked and sure enough there were new updates so I redid the throw aways and rebooted to them just fine. Reupdated my other installs and upgraded them.

This one I left alone as it, and it alone seems to want to remove casper. Just went to synaptic and upgraded the other stuff.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Copying one name to the other should be enough I think; only the name changed, not the contents.

make /lib/libplybootclient.so.2 a symlink to or copy of /lib/libply-boot-client.so.2
    i tried creating a symbolic link but it said /lib/libplybootclient.so.2 already exists. i then deleted /lib/libplybootclient.so.2 and create a symbolic link of /lib/libply-boot-client.so.2 to point to /lib/libplybootclient.so.2 but it doesn't work, i still get a black screen.

now what? any ideas?

please note that i'm getting absolutely no error, just a black screen.
    Last edited by brucemartin; March 13th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.

Beans

If you can chroot into your partition from the live CD you can run sudo apt-get upgrade.

Beans

As previous posts show chroot and update will work. There is a link to fixing a 32bit system. Here is what I did for 64bit 10.04 if you are unfamiliar with chroot:

Boot livecd with correct architecture. I booted 9.10 amd64.
    Use fdisk -l to see what your linux main partition is.

root@ubuntu:~# mkdir /media/l
    root@ubuntu:~# mount /dev/sda1 /media/l
    root@ubuntu:~# mount -o bind /proc /media/l/proc
    root@ubuntu:~# mount -o bind /dev /media/l/dev
    root@ubuntu:~# mount -o bind /dev/pts /media/l/dev/pts
    root@ubuntu:~# mount -o bind /sys /media/l/sys
    root@ubuntu:~# chroot /media/l /bin/bash
    root@ubuntu:/# sudo dhclient eth0
    (could also be wireless wlan0)

I did install the package manually but an apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade would have caught it anyhow.

root@ubuntu:/# wget http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/..._2.8_amd64.deb
    root@ubuntu:/# dpkg -i mountall_2.8_amd64.deb

root@ubuntu:/# apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

Beans

I love these "don't eat the yellow snow" threads. They sure do keep you from making big mistakes.

There must be something wrong with 10.04. We had a lot more of this kind of FUN in 9.10-testing.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Yep, I dived in and did the update and of course it wouldn't boot. It seems crazy that this would stop the boot process. If it doesn't find the lib, it should drop back to the normal kernel framebuffer and boot text, not leave the system unable to boot.

I fixed it anyway, thanks to the commands. All good alpha fun.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast