Thread: cool interview questions

Beans

Lightbulb cool interview questions

Hello,
    I came across this page some time ago, and thought it would be fun to try to answer all the questions on it. I'll start with an easy one:

Q: If you had an infinite supply of water and a 5 quart and 3 quart pail, how would you measure exactly 4 quarts?

A: Empty both buckets. Fill the three quart bucket. Pour the contents of the 3 quart bucket into the 5 quart bucket. Fill the three quart bucket again. Pour the three quart bucket into the 5 quart bucket until the 5 quart bucket is full. Empty the 5 quart bucket. Pour the remaining 1 quart form the 3 quart bucket into the 5 quart bucket. Fill the three quart bucket. Pour the three quart bucket into the 5 quart bucket. There are now 4 quarts exactly in the 5 quart bucket.

I tried to be specific here, because you never know with those interviewers .

I think these questions are a good way to learn to problem solve, and what better place than here?

Here are the links:
    http://www.sellsbrothers.com/fun/msi...t=question.htm - The water bucket question came from here
    http://www.sellsbrothers.com/fun/msiview/ - Some other interesting questions here

Beans

Re: cool interview questions

really good links thanks .. Fun

Beans

I think an alternative answer is:

fill the five quart pail. Pour the 5 court pail into the 3 quart pail until the 3 quart pail is full. Then empty the 3 quart pail and pour in the remaining 2 quarts back into the 3 quart pail. Then Fill the 5 quart pail, pour from the 5 into the 3 until the 3 is full. You will have 4 quarts remaining.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What's a pail? I assume a container

Also a quart I assume is a measurement of some kind
    email: me@rory.sh
    IRC: ​blazemore@freenode