Thread: Change Truecrypt volume label

Beans

Change Truecrypt volume label

Hi,

is it possible to change a truecrypt volume label so that appears not as "truecrypt1" but rather as "myStick"?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Change Truecrypt volume label

Not that I could find
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

From here:

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=troubleshooting

Problem: The label of a filesystem within a TrueCrypt volume cannot be changed under Windows Vista or a later version of Windows.
    Cause:
    A Windows issue causes the label to be written only to the Windows registry file, instead of being written to the filesystem.
    Possible Solutions:

• This issue affects only volumes that are not mounted as removable. Hence, if you want to change the label reliably, make sure the option 'Mount volume as removable medium' in the Mount Options is enabled (or that the option 'Mount volumes as removable media' in the Preferences is enabled) when mounting the volume.
    • This issue affects only labels set via the Windows GUI. Hence, if you want to change the label reliably, you can use the label command to do so.
    So you can try setting the label from the window command line (use the command label) or you can try from Linux :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    From here:

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=troubleshooting

So you can try setting the label from the window command line (use the command label) or you can try from Linux :

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive
    Ok, I gotta ask, what does "TrueCrypt volume cannot be changed under Windows Vista or a later version of Windows." have to do with Ubuntu? That quote just kinda confused me as I see no relevance.

GParted initially seemed to be a good suggestion but does not recognize the partition.

And it seems that it's not so much the name but the mounting point. Once I understand how to change the mounting point, then the name will change

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDon View Post
    Ok, I gotta ask, what does "TrueCrypt volume cannot be changed under Windows Vista or a later version of Windows." have to do with Ubuntu? That quote just kinda confused me as I see no relevance.

GParted initially seemed to be a good suggestion but does not recognize the partition.

And it seems that it's not so much the name but the mounting point. Once I understand how to change the mounting point, then the name will change
    The OP did not specify what OS s/he is using, so I gave an answer that should work in either OS.

What problem are you having ? The "solution" varies, are you trying to set a mount point, change a file system label, or change the truecrypt label ?

If you need assistance, I highly suggest you start your own thread. Hard to know how a thread from another person from a month ago is relevant to your problem, which may be why the advice does not apply to your situation. Be sure to specify the problem you are having.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

might be late,.. but perhaps usefull for other people that come over this post...

if you want to make your volume appear under your custom label, you need to mount it on that folder.

# create a mystick folder in /media
    # when mounting, choose options, and select mount folder (/media/mystick)
    # your volume should now appear under mystick, instead of truecryptX
    To mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools [at top]