Thread: Lucid reads file size wrong/what package to debug?

Hybrid View

Beans

Lucid reads file size wrong/what package to debug?

On the 10th I was going to burn the daily iso to do some testing and noticed that it appeared to be oversize even though the daily build web page showed the size to be 685 MB (by memory).

I didn't think too much of that and noticed yesterday they never did post a new daily, then this AM I zsynced the new build and while the web page says it's 676 MB it showed up as 708.3 MB in Lucid.

So a light bulb went on and I booted into Jaunty and checked the size, viola 675.5 MB, so it wasn't an oversize iso after all

So now what? I have no idea what package to file a bug report against? Nautilus? That seems awfully broad.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; March 12th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Beans

Re: Lucid reads file size wrong/what package to debug?

Well I decided to just let Apport sort this out so I booted back into Lucid and opened the Downloads folder and clicked on Report a problem, errrm that's a problem:

Screenshot.jpg

So I guess I'll try starting with ubuntu-bug apport

Beans

Nope! Can't report any bugs using Apport!

Beans

OK I filed a bug report using "http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+filebug?no-redirect":

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...us/+bug/538165

I sure would appreciate anyone checking the size of any isos or other large files in their Lucid to see if they have the same problem.

I'm going to see if todays daily build will run for me and see how it reads the sizes of my isos.

Beans

Just double checked this using todays daily build Live and it's the same way. Reads an iso that's about 676MB as 708.3MB.

Beans

Question Re: Lucid reads file size wrong/what package to debug?

I don't see how this can be right but the reply I got:

Thank you for your bug report. However, this is due to recent changes to standardise the units that are used on the desktop (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnitsPolicy for details).

Your issue is that the web page is using the SI prefix for presenting a base 2 number, which is incorrect (718 * (10^6/2^20) = 685)
    Changed in nautilus (Ubuntu):
    All other OS's on my machine say the image is 675.5MB but lucid says it's 708.3MB. I tried installing Thunar and it reads the image as 675.5!

What kind of hassle is it going to be telling a 700MB disc to hold a 708.3MB image??????????

Whoever is putting up the Daily iso's posts the size as 676MB!!!!!!!!!!

So I guess that Lucid's Nautilus is right, the devs that put up the size of the Daily iso's are wrong. Thunar is wrong and I suppose CD manufacturers are wrong - they're not 700MB dics anymore??????????

WTF?????????????????

Time to take a break from the insanity!