Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiftfox, a faster Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Swiftfox, a faster Firefox

I've just replaced my Firefox 1.5.1 installation (/opt/firefox/) for the Swiftfox branch release. After backing up the old 1.5 install, replacing the content of /opt/firefox with the swiftfox install and copying plugins from the 1.5 install over to swiftfox, I have found that it works flawlessly!
    Last edited by Zeroangel; March 14th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world"
    -- Albert Einstien

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by pgmario
    I don't have Opera installed at the moment, so I can't comment on its speed. The reason I don't have it installed is that I really like Firefox's extension system. I think the last version of Opera I ran was 8.x and I didn't like its interface (many, many options, yet not some of those which some Firefox extensions give you).
    But if you prefer it, ok. It's adhering to the standards, so I won't try to convince you to use Firefox.
    In fact I use both. That's why I feel opera is a little faster.. but you'r right, the FF extension is a cool feature that I like too...
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroangel
    Is there an option to do this somewhere? Or do you have to compile FF without Pango?
    Yep. See this thread:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=134627

Beans
    Distro

Man, Ubuntu should make a seperate binary called mozilla-firefox-ndn for those who need to view indic pages.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just swiped this post from the link.
    Quote Originally Posted by diebels
    You don't need to recompile it.

Just run with:
    MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 firefox

If you want to make it permanent(until next update), then:
    Code:
    sudo mv /usr/bin/firefox /usr/bin/firefox.orig
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/bin/firefox
    insert this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 firefox.orig $@
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/firefox
    Guess it doesn't need to be recompiled.
    Last edited by Zeroangel; March 14th, 2006 at 08:51 PM.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world"
    -- Albert Einstien

Beans
    Distro

I actually solved this issue in rather harsh way - by simply disabling PANGO globally - by MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=1 setting in environment.

Beans
    Distro

A bug in Swiftfox

I think I discovered a bug in SwiftFox.

I am running into problems installing extensions. Every time I try to install an extension, SF/FF will not start.

I've discovered that when the extension is installed the files are written to the extensions/{extensionid} folder but some of them are marked as read only and the access permissions are otherwise borked. Setting the access permissions to a normal (rwxr-xr-x) will fix the problem and allow that extension to be installed, but it must be done for each extension that you are installing.

Does anyone else get this bug in Swiftfox?
    -- Albert Einstien

Beans
    Distro

I saw this and got really excited to the point that I started to download it before remembering I have a pentium m cpu...
    Thinkpad T61p: 15.4" WUXGA Screen, Core 2 Duo T9300, 4GB DDR2, 512MB Quadro 570M, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD+RW, Intel 4965AGN+Bluetooth, 9 Cell Battery
    http://blog.zachtib.com

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Many of my extensions don't work. It says they are not compatible with Swiftfox 1.6a1. Like All-in-one Gestures, Tab Clicking Options, and User Agent Switcher.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by saads
    Many of my extensions don't work. It says they are not compatible with Swiftfox 1.6a1. Like All-in-one Gestures, Tab Clicking Options, and User Agent Switcher.
    Replace it with this version of Swiftfox (Swiftfox 1.5.0.1) and they should work. It uses the same engine version as Firefox 1.5.
    Manually installing software and setting up your system is always preferable. However, there is not one thing wrong with using Automatix for getting it done the easy way. Get Automatix2 Support Here

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

ya, i actually used the 1.8 version - works fine. I was using the Ahtlon64 trunk version before.

Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast