Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiftfox, a faster Firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Swiftfox, a faster Firefox

Sounds good, but does it change the name from Firefox to Swiftfox? if so, that doesn't sound very good..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by GoA
    How much faster it was? I'm currently downloading it to test it out, first run on normal firefox: 5.5 second: 6.4 third: 6.7.

EDIT: Swiftfox

First: 2.5
    Second 3.24
    Third 3.39.

That's about two times faster. Holy*.

And in normal usage it's also a lot faster than Dappers default firefox. Thanks for the tip.
    Maybe it is time to switch to Gentoo? Didn't knew you actually can feel a difference..

Beans
    Hidden!

Can't one just copy the about:conf settings for swiftfox, and apply them to ubuntu's firefox, and have the same effects.
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    Can't one just copy the about:conf settings for swiftfox, and apply them to ubuntu's firefox, and have the same effects.
    No, the binaries is compiled with MMX, SSE etc. and are optimized for athlon-xp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by treys
    One question, how will the update in ff work? Will there be no problem updating?
    I don't know. It says "Automatically check for updates for Swiftfox" in the preferences, but I don't know if this really works. You could either mail the developer and ask him or just wait until 1.5.0.2 of FF2 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyface
    Sounds good, but does it change the name from Firefox to Swiftfox? if so, that doesn't sound very good..
    It does change the name, but it still credits the Firefox developers.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyface
    Maybe it is time to switch to Gentoo? Didn't knew you actually can feel a difference..
    If you think it's worth compiling EVERYTHING yourself, go ahead. But I don't want to start any flaming here, everyone can of course do what suits him best

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    The effects don't have anything to do with about:conf, but can only be applied with optimization flags when compiling the application from source. Of course you can then tweak network settings under about:conf in both FF and Swiftfox or use the Fasterfox extension to speed things up even more (I'll add this extension to the how-to).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by treys
    Celeron is a Intel cpu, this build is optimized for Athlon cpus...

One question, how will the update in ff work? Will there be no problem updating?

Yeah I know. I installed Dapper this past weekend. I was using Breezy, and I am just having loads of fun installing stuff to see how it works, what effects that it has on my system etc. I am new to this linux stuff 2.5 weeks now and I have already installed then reinstalled the Os about 5 times. I guess you can say I break it to fix it. Sorry to get off topic. Dapper runs like a champ by the way!!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by geearf
    Hello,
    I'm trying the 1.8 build right now it really seems faster.
    But maybe because of 1.8 I'll have to try the 1.5 later.
    Are you talking about Mozilla 1.8 or firefox 1.8..? I've never heard firefox is going to ver 1.6 above even dev release...
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

Quote Originally Posted by pgmario
    I used Opera9 TP2 to test the same thing and it seems much faster than firefox.
    Linux user #392733
    -------------------------------------
    You want to know what a computer really is, try Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by i3dmaster
    Are you talking about Mozilla 1.8 or firefox 1.8..? I've never heard firefox is going to ver 1.6 above even dev release...
    In contrast to the 1.5 number, 1.8 does not refer to the Firefox version, but to that of the rendering engine Gecko. Gecko 1.8 is the foundation for Firefox 1.5, as you can see in this roadmap.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by i3dmaster
    I used Opera9 TP2 to test the same thing and it seems much faster than firefox.
    I don't have Opera installed at the moment, so I can't comment on its speed. The reason I don't have it installed is that I really like Firefox's extension system. I think the last version of Opera I ran was 8.x and I didn't like its interface (many, many options, yet not some of those which some Firefox extensions give you).
    But if you prefer it, ok. It's adhering to the standards, so I won't try to convince you to use Firefox.

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast