Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 68

Thread: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Eskilstuna, Sweden
    Beans
    23
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

    No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    Background: I was a little adventurous (again) and upgraded to 10.4 alpha, and things are working quite well. The main reason why I upgraded was because I had occasional wireless network problems on 9.10, and it's a bit better in 10.4 (less frequent disconnects that force me to reboot).

    My problem: after upgrading, I have no audio. The volume applet seems to be working, and no errors are reported... it's just that it's always completely silent. Any idea why?

    I'm on a ThinkPad T400s and the system test identifies my sound card as:

    0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
    HDA Intel at 0xf2620000 irq 17

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    Same problem here. Suddenly there's no sound in any program or system activity, whereas there was before.
    SN78SH7 Shuttle box, AMD Phenom 8400 2.0GHz x 3, Nvidia GeForce 8200, 4GB memory, 1TB HDD. Kubuntu 10.04 x64 (main computer).

    Poll: Canonical needs to devote more developers, time and resources to Kubuntu

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Beans
    6,904
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Smile Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    Check your levels in:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    Make sure you're using correct kernel
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    [Reboot needed]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Beans
    2,063
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    I just upgraded today as well and after the upgrade, no sound! I was easily able to fix it by going to System->Preferences->Sound then the Output Tab, change the Connector drop down box from Analog Output to Analog Speakers. that fixed it for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by djst View Post
    My problem: after upgrading, I have no audio. The volume applet seems to be working, and no errors are reported... it's just that it's always completely silent. Any idea why?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Beans
    302
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    my sound stopped working today and i have nothing in sound preferences output except for dummy. i have standard onboard intel sound chip.
    ubuntu others
    as you would have them
    ubuntu you

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    10,345

    Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    I just did a fresh install today and I also have a sound issue. Every time I reboot I end up with no sound. The volume widget in Indicator Applet even looks odd, like instead of <))) just <--.

    If I try to fix things by left clicking the volume applet everything I try to adjust also adjusts everything else. However I always install "gnome-alsamixer" which is just a front end to alsamixer that shows up in Sound & Video, so if I readjust things there I easily get my sound back for the entire session.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Beans
    6,904
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Post Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I just did a fresh install today and I also have a sound issue. Every time I reboot I end up with no sound. The volume widget in Indicator Applet even looks odd, like instead of <))) just <--.

    If I try to fix things by left clicking the volume applet everything I try to adjust also adjusts everything else. However I always install "gnome-alsamixer" which is just a front end to alsamixer that shows up in Sound & Video, so if I readjust things there I easily get my sound back for the entire session.
    You could try adding this to your startup as a workaround:
    Code:
    bash -c "sleep 15 ; amixer set Master playback unmute"
    Are the sliders down also or just muted?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Beans
    6,904
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Smile Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    Quote Originally Posted by cleentrax View Post
    my sound stopped working today and i have nothing in sound preferences output except for dummy. i have standard onboard intel sound chip.
    Can you post output of this command:
    Code:
    sudo fuser -v /dev/dsp* /dev/snd/* /dev/seq*

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Beans
    6,904
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Post Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    Quote Originally Posted by djst View Post
    Background: I was a little adventurous (again) and upgraded to 10.4 alpha, and things are working quite well. The main reason why I upgraded was because I had occasional wireless network problems on 9.10, and it's a bit better in 10.4 (less frequent disconnects that force me to reboot).

    My problem: after upgrading, I have no audio. The volume applet seems to be working, and no errors are reported... it's just that it's always completely silent. Any idea why?

    I'm on a ThinkPad T400s and the system test identifies my sound card as:

    0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
    HDA Intel at 0xf2620000 irq 17
    Have you checked for muted elements in alsamixer?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    13,505
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: No sound anymore (but volume app works!)

    Quote Originally Posted by cleentrax View Post
    my sound stopped working today and i have nothing in sound preferences output except for dummy. i have standard onboard intel sound chip.
    Mine stopped too, on boot-up my volume icon shows muted.

    It seems an update has broken things.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •