Thread: Canīt Set Super Key as Keyboard Shortcut

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Canīt Set Super Key as Keyboard Shortcut

Hey,

Panp4i, fresh install of Karmic 64, havenīt tried anything yet because I donīt know where to start.

Setting up a new user account on my computer, and trying to set the super key to summon a terminal. No real reason, I have just always done it that way so I want to do it that way again.

Anyway, when I go into keyboard shortcuts, I canīt set the super key to do anything, let alone open a terminal. When I set up the window to grab a shortcut, I press the Super key and nothing happens. Even when I try something like Ctrl+Super, it wonīt work. On my other (original) account I can still summon a terminal using Super, but I am afraid to try and change it to something else for fear it will be irreversible.

Thanks for your help,
    jim
    I think a nerd is a person who uses the telephone to talk to other people about telephones. And a computer nerd therefore is somebody who uses a computer in order to use a computer. -Douglas Adams
    My Blog

Beans

Re: Canīt Set Super Key as Keyboard Shortcut

Search these forums. Specifically:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=Super-L

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Since the super key does work from your admin (first) account, but not the second, I'd log in to the admin acct and go to System > Admin > Users and Groups. Click the unlock button and enter your password. Then click the username of the second account, then click "Properties" and "Privs" and make sure "Administer the system" is checked. Then log back into the second account and see if anything has changed.

If that *works*, then it is an issue because you might not want the second user to have admin privs!

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see if that does the trick.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks jpv, solution worked.

And TA- it was already set to admin. So we wonīt know if that works.

Thanks!
    jim
    I think a nerd is a person who uses the telephone to talk to other people about telephones. And a computer nerd therefore is somebody who uses a computer in order to use a computer. -Douglas Adams
    My Blog