Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon MF4350d - Printer Scanner setup

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Canon MF4350d - Printer Scanner setup

Sorry to bump an old thread but ... I had my MF4350d working perfectly using this method under 11.04. Upgraded to 11.10 this week and now it's broke.

This is the error:

"File "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoufr2cpca" not available: Too many levels of symbolic links"

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Edit: Uninstalled and reinstalled CUPS. Then installed the drivers. Bad link is now good! Unfortunately, I still get this error:

Code:
    /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoufr2cpca failed
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by Footer; October 29th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well folks, the solution was to go back to 11.04. Just for grins, I did a fresh install of 11.10, same problem. A link was created again to the file pstoufr2cpca. This is NOT correct. When I still couldn't print in 11.10, I reverted back to 11.04 (fresh install), installed the drivers and sure enough, pstoufr2cpca is actually a FILE not a LINK! And printing works again!

It was a painful process to come to this conclusion but hopefully I will save some other's pain. I did save the file separately in hopes that if I upgrade to 11.10 again, I can replace the link with the actual file after installing the drivers.

If anyone else has this problem or suggestions for a better solution, please post a reply to this thread!

Beans

Question Canon MF8380Cdw

I know this is an old thread, but it seems to be one the few on the topic I'm struggling with (according to Google, etc.).

I'm trying to get my Canon Imageclass MF8380Cdw color laser multifunction device to print. I've installed the Linux UFR II package, as above, after installing the various packages suggested above, and the driver seems to install, but when I go to print, it says the job finished, and does nothing.

I'm using Linux Mint 12 (based on Ubuntu 11.10) 64-bit. I've used alien to convert the 64-bit RPMs to .deb files, and they seem to install properly.

I tried copying the files from /usr/lib into /usr/lib64, as well as removing symlinks and replacing them with the real files, as suggested, but this has not helped.

I've tried connecting via WiFi network, and USB cable, and though CUPS finds the printer without any searching on my part, in both cases (it just lists it automatically for me to click on), and even suggests the UFR II driver, it doesn't work--but the logs in /var/log/cups don't indicate any problems at all.

I'm stumped! I can't afford to buy another printer, and I'd love to see this thing working on my Linux installation (at least the printing aspect of it). I'd greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

--Dane

Beans
    Distro

Hi Dane,

I'm running Kubuntu 11.10 64bit and as I mentioned in my previous post, my ImageCLASS 4350d worked fine under 11.04 but broke under 11.10. What I finally did to get it working was this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libc6-i386 ia32-libs lib32z1
    There's a reported bug here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...question/79913

Then it worked! Holy cow!!! I was shocked! So it seems like in addition to the UFR drivers under 11.10, you need some 32bit files as well. Give it a shot and let us know if it works.

Beans

Thanks for the reply, Footer.

I ran the command you specified, but as it turns out, all those things were already installed, so no joy.

I did, however, just find this in /var/log/cups/error_log, which I somehow hadn't noticed before:

Code:
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:25 -0800] [CGI] Missing Product in /usr/share/cups/model/CNCUPSIRADV4051ZK.ppd!
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:31 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_Gray__' has already been added
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:31 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_RGB__' has already been added
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:31 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_Gray__' has already been added
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:31 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_RGB__' has already been added
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:53 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_Gray__' has already been added
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:53 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_RGB__' has already been added
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:53 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_Gray__' has already been added
    W [26/Jan/2012:13:40:53 -0800] failed to AddProfile: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.Failed:profile object path '/org/freedesktop/ColorManager/profiles/Canon_MF8380Cdw_RGB__' has already been added
    It should be noted that while working on this, I tried to install/uninstall the printer multiple times, but when I looked at this file the first time, it was empty. Odd... Anyway, these messages relate to my last attempt.

While I would like it if this driver used standard .ppd files (as mentioned in the error log), I don't think it does...correct?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

--Dane

Beans
    Distro

Bummer! I feel your pain. I almost feel like I got 'lucky' when I finally got my MF4350d to work under 11.10. It was a struggle but it finally worked.

Don't give up! Hopefully someone else will offer advice or you will eventually figure it out yourself. Did you by chance have it working under a previous Linux Mint ... that may have been based on Ubuntu 11.04?

Beans

Footer,

I just purchased the printer, so I haven't tried it in any other distro or version. I was previously using Ubuntu 11.10, which I dumped yesterday, since I realized I couldn't cohabitate peacefully with Unity or Gnome 3.

I just tried installing the i386 libs on my 64-bit distro, but they need dependencies, like libglade2-0 and others, which can't be installed simultaneously in 32- and 64-bit versions. *sigh* Perhaps I can find some way to install the necessary .so files without having to use the package system, or messing anything else up. Wish me luck...

Thanks again.

--Dane

Beans
    Distro

Dane -- You should try Kubuntu 11.10! Then do what I did and maybe your printer will work! I've never been a Gnome fan so the whole Unity thing has never been a concern to me.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I do hope you eventually get your printer to work ... And remember to post your results here!

Beans

Maybe I'll give Kubuntu another shot, sometime.

In any case, if/when I make it work, I'll post the solution here!

Have a good one.

--Dane

Beans
    Distro

Well, here I am with an MF4350d that won't print again.

I made the stupid mistake of trying out KDE 4.8 (was 4.7.4 under 11.10) and KDE 4.8 broke the living hell out of my system. Non-responsive and unusable. So I've basically just finished installing 11.10 from scratch, configuring everything again (I have /home on another partition so other than the OS, it's not bad). Last thing to get working was the printer.

I've tried EVERYTHING including the 32bit files and guess what? NO JOY! So I really feel your pain now Dane! I'm going to keep plugging away because I KNOW it works. But something isn't quite right. And I get no errors in http://localhost/631 or /var/log/cups other than the ones you've seen Dane.

I guess we both need HELP now!

Thanks.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast