Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon MF4350d - Printer Scanner setup

Beans

Re: Canon MF4350d - Printer Scanner setup

Hey guys. I've tried all the steps suggested in this thread, but I still can't get my Canon MF4350d to print anything. What's weird is that I'll print something, and it will saw processing in the print queue, and then disappear.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Beans

Cool Re: Canon MF4350d - Printer Scanner setup

ervinshiznit,

Unfortunately, the behavior you're describing is a topic of much consternation throughout this thread. Some people have managed to get around it, whether by a process such as che_bizarro describes, above, or by ultimately switching to another Linux distribution. Sadly, I don't think I can provide further insight on this than I already have, but perhaps the insights of others on this thread--past and future will help you.

Good luck!

P.S. Is this the Ervin in Chico, CA?

Beans

So I found this piece of advice on a different forum for Linux Mint, and to my surprise it worked!

sudo cp /usr/lib64/libcanon* /usr/lib

I thought a symbolic link would be essentially doing what that copy command does, but hey if it works it works.

And nope, I'm not in CA

Beans

By the way what program should I use to scan? I'm trying to get scanning to work now.

Beans

Wow, I'm surprised that worked, since I tried something very similar, which didn't. No complaints here, though.

xscane is generally the "go-to" scanning program for Linux. It's awkward and ugly, and you can possibly get better scanning functionality from GIMP or similar--but since xsane is closely related to the *nix scanner libraries, it's a good place to start. Gnome and KDE have some related utilities that are basically reliant on xsane. Let me know if you get scanning to work! Solutions for this have been posted here, but I haven't had the energy to deal with it, given how much trouble it was to get printing to function.

The only Ervin I've met (and I assume your name isn't "shiznit..." ;-D ) happened to work with me at a computer shop here in CA, so I thought I'd ask.

Have a nice day.

Beans

Haha no my name isn't shiznit =P

Xsane initially gave me some device busy errors, but after restarting the printer and replugging the printer via usb, it works! Thanks for the info on Xsane, and if I can be of any assistance with how I set up my printing and scanning functionality, I'm subscribed to email notifications on this thread.

Incidentally....I see no 2 pages on a side option in the driver. This isn't just me right?

Beans

Great!

I don't know if your model supports 2-sided printing; I'm using the MF8380CDW, and there's a driver option in the Gnome printing configuration tool for it. Did you look under "job" and the other tabs?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Our MF4350D is connected to my wife's PC. She uses double sided printing. Recently she was complaining about how OOo or LibreOffice was flipping on the wrong edge. Her work-around was to save it to pdf and print it from Adobe Reader. The print project was a double sided 8 1/2 by 11 folded to be a four panel 8 1/2 by 5 1/2 bulletin. Flipping the print on the short edge, not the long edge was the challenge.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Beans

ridgeland,

There should be 2 ways to fix the double-sided printing without resorting to Adobe Reader.

Method 1:

First, if you go to the printer setup tool and enter your printer's Properties, you'll see on the left (depending on which utility you're using--Gnome 3, Unity, Cinnamon, etc.) a tab/button called, "Printer Options."

Click that tab and look for "Duplex." In its drop-down menu, choose either "ON (Long-edged Binding)" or "ON (Short-edged Binding)." Set any other options you like (Toner Save, BindingEdge, etc.; there's also a "Word wrap" option under the "Job Options" tab) and click OK or Apply.

Ta-da!

This should make these options "standard" for every print job unless you specify otherwise.

Method 2:

Since I no longer use a distro with OpenOffice instead of LibreOffice, I'll give instructions for the latter; hopefully they carry over.

When you go to print (File > Print...), go to the "Properties" button near the printer selection menu at the top. Make sure your printer is highlighted first, of course. There should be an option in one of the tabs for 2-sided or duplex. That should offer you an option of how to print, but if "short edge" isn't an option, you might be able to choose "ignore" and use the defaults you selected using the first method, above.

I hope that helps.

--Dane

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks Dane,
    That worked for flipping the page on the short edge.
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast