Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting V200 scanner to work on UbuntuStudio 14.04

Beans

getting V200 scanner to work on UbuntuStudio 14.04

Gradually moving from Windows 7 to UbuntuStudio (and new to linux), today's task is to get the Epsom Perfection V200 Photo to work on linux. I've been through a lot of similar threads in this hardware forum and this is where I'm at now.

Initially, SimpleScan told me there was no scanner. Now, it looks like it will work; Simplescan preferences shows the scanner correctly as an Epsom Perfection V200 but when I try to scan, I get a 'Failed to Scan - unable to connect to the scanner'

lsusb shows the scanner :

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 04b8:012e Seiko Epson Corp. GT-F670 [Perfection V200 Photo]

sane-find-scanner shows :

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x012e [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:003:004
    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

A search on the sane web site shows that this model on usb is unsupported but gives a link to the Epson (epkowa) site where I downloaded the relevant drivers as deb files :

iscan-data_1.28.0-2_all.deb
    iscan_2.29.3-1~usb0.1.ltdl7_amd64.deb
    iscan-plugin-gt-f670_2.1.2-1_amd64.deb

which I installed in that order using Ubuntu Software Centre. I checked that libltdl7 is installed.

scanimage -L shows :

device `epkowa:interpreter:003:004' is a Epson Perfection V200 flatbed scanner

I have added my login name to the 'scanner' group. What other step or steps do I still need to do to get SimpleScan to connect to the scanner ?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Nosphky; June 8th, 2014 at 08:26 PM.

Beans

Re: getting V200 scanner to work on UbuntuStudio 14.04

you have done really well Nosphky; as you say these devices seem to use the epkowa backend;

there seem 2 different ways to drive the scanner:

1) SANE open-source
    2) Epson's iscan drivers that you have carefully installed

to use 1) if you open and just have a read first at the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf with the text editor gedit with the command
    gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    and if it says

#epson
    epson2
    then you need to change it to

#epson
    #epson2
    epkowa
    so that SANE uses the epkowa (ie Simple Scan) .and you look in the directory sane.d to see that there is an epkowa.conf file (it would need the ID of your scanner in it ........)

to change the dll.conf file, close gedit and then issue the command
    gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
    ......you will need your sudo password; proof-read; check; SAVE; close;

__________________________________________________ _

does the separate Epson iscan work .............ie
    iscan
    in a terminal opens Imagescan ............it is likely a menu item in your system too ..........

Beans

Hi pdc and thanks for your input.

/etc/sane.d/dll.conf - I edited this file as you suggested (commented out the line epson2 and added the line epkowa)

I found the file : /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf

It had no mention of my scanner so I put in a line : usb 0x048 0x012e

although the language in the conf file itself was discouraging :

# For any USB scanner not known to the backend (yet), you may, at your
    # own peril(!!), force the backend to recognise and use it via libusb.
    # You can do so by the following configuration command:
    #
    Then I tried Simple Scan (under 'Publishing' in UbuntuStudio) and I got a page to scan successfully so I thought the job was done.

I tried iscan in the terminal but didn't see anything happening and I didn't know what to expect - the terminal seemed to be waiting for a response.

I found Image Scan! - it was under 'Graphic Design' in UbuntuStudio. I don't know whether it was there yesterday. Because I found SimpleScan under publishing, I thought all the scanning apps would be there.

Anyways, clicking on Image Scan! gave an error dialog :

Scan Selector Dialogue Epson (unknown model) [epkowa:usb:003:004]

when I clicked ok, it gave way to an Iscan dialogue - "could not connect to scanner"

lsusb : gives

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 04b8:012e Seiko Epson Corp. GT-F670 [Perfection V200 Photo]

which shows correct vendor ID and product ID and product description, as it did yesterday.

sane-find-scanner also correctly finds the scanner as it did yesterday.

scanimage -L, on the other hand, no longer finds the scanner - giving this result :

desktop:~$ scanimage -L
    device `epkowa:usb:003:004' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner device
    `epkowa:interpreter:003:004' is a Epson (unknown model) flatbed scanner

I have tried editing the epkowa.conf file back to its original state but the result is the same.

I have tried re-booting several times (years of experience with Windows) but I can't get the scanner to work again. Apart from that single page scan, it has never worked again.

The epkowa.conf file has the following line near the beginning :

# See sane-epkowa(5), sane-usb(5) and sane-scsi(5) for details.

I don't understand these references - surely some documentation ? What is the (5) bit and where would I find them ?
    Last edited by Nosphky; June 9th, 2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: somehow the formatting has disappeared

Beans

phew; you have done well; and still not working

The epkowa.conf file has the following line near the beginning :

# See sane-epkowa(5), sane-usb(5) and sane-scsi(5) for details.

I don't understand these references - surely some documentation ? What is the (5) bit and where would I find them ?
    in a terminal, you can read the manual for these things; the terminal uses man as a shortcut for manual so for sane-epkowa it would be
    man sane-epkowa
    and thereafter

there is an iscan configuration file and it is in /etc/sane.d/dll.d so to read it the command is
    gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.d/iscan
    and edit it the command is
    gksudo gedit /etc/sane.d/dll.d/iscan
    I wonder if the iscan had the ID of your device as you did in the epkowa.conf file if that would help iscan; as you say you can always remove these references as you wish

I guess if one keeps in one's mind the idea that:

1) SANE is the open-source and it has its chain of command
    2) Epson supplies iscan and it has its own chain; also with epkowa;

scanimage is the command we have used; it is part of the open-source sane arena and it has its own manual; and quite a bit of detail about the command "scanimage -L"
    man scanimage
    they say

The -L or --list-devices option requests a (partial) list of devices that are available. The list is not complete since some devices may be available, but are not listed in any of the configuration files (which are typically stored in directory /usr/local/etc/sane.d).
    so it would seem reasonable to update entries there too:
    cd /usr/local/etc/sane.d
    gets you into that directoryl; and if you wish to see what is there
    ls
    lists the contents

and then with
    gksudo gedit dll.conf
    you can edit it as you did the other file to add epkowa and comment out epson2

one could only hope after that; (and a reboot!) that scanimage -L might find the device (there is bound to be a command somewhere to restart the services that oversee sane: so you don't have to reboot: I don't have it to hand............eg with printing you restart cups)

the other interesting feature about scanimage is it will do a direct scan from the terminal and some find they can awaken their scanner with
    scanimage >image.pnm
    and if I could find it, an additional command to send the image to a file to save
    Last edited by pdc; June 9th, 2014 at 10:38 PM.

Beans

Hi pdc :

thanks for the hints on manuals. I'll get some reading in - not tonight though.

I found the iscan file ( /etc/sane.d/dll.d/iscan) but its function seems to be just to tell sane which backend to use and it specifies 'epkowa'. I did however try and add a reference to the scanner ID but it didn't help so I put the file back to its original state.

Curiously, there seems to be a degree of variability in results from the series of commands I've been using over the past couple of days. For example, scanimage -L doesn't return a value at all now even if I wait for ten minutes. The cursor just sits on the next line and stays there. If I want to close the terminal it takes a ctrl-c to get control back.

And when I do lsusb : now it is giving me

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 04b8:012e Seiko Epson Corp. GT-F670 [Perfection V200 Photo]

This shows the scanner as device 5 on bus 3. Yesterday and earlier this evening, it was device 4 on bus 3. I haven't plugged in or out any other usb device today and no device 4 is listed. Is this a normal behaviour for a linux system ? It seems to be changing its 'address'.

sane-find-scanner tells the same story. Yesterday and earlier this evening, the scanner was found as bus 003, device 004 - now this evening it says :

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x012e [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:003:005

/usr/local/etc/ is empty - no files at all stored there. In fact, there is almost nothing in /usr/local/directories at all.

Well -it's 1am so I'm closing down for the night. I'll see what tomorrow brings. (If I can get this posy to go - seems like the 'token has expired' whatever that means.)

Beans

Is this a normal behaviour for a linux system ? It seems to be changing its 'address'.
    yes;

What motherboard are you using?
    Do you have usb 2 or usb 3?
    Linux into the classroom NOW!
    http://www.taiwan-taipei.com

Beans

Hi davidvandoren ; After a pc failure, I have just installed a new Gigabyte motherboard : GA-H97M-D3H It has support for usb 3 but the V200 scanner dates from around 2008 so is not usb 3, probably usb 2 ? The scanner is plugged into a usb 3 port on on the rear of the pc box. (cannot seem to get the paragraphing / linefeeds to stick : hope this second edit works better)
    Last edited by Nosphky; June 11th, 2014 at 03:46 PM. Reason: formatting gone (in quick reply)

Restart your pc and go into your bios.
    Enable advanced settings and look for usb settings.
    Change the USB 3.0 from XHCI enabled to disabled.
    And if available the usb 2 settings EHCI settings from enabled to disabled or vise verse.
    Linux into the classroom NOW!
    http://www.taiwan-taipei.com

Beans

I set xHCI to disabled (it was on the default of Smart Auto.)

SimpleScan still doesn't work but after it has been 'turning' a few minutes, its preferences do show a choice between 'unknown epson scanner' and 'Epson Perfection V200' (initially, nothing is shown in the preferences 'scan source'). I select the correct source and wait and wait - but nothing further happens. If I leave it turning long enough, the application closes down.

Between attempts, SimpleScan doesn't remember the correct choice and each time it takes a few minutes to show the choices..

On one occasion I thought it was going to start a scan because I heard the sort of noise it generally makes when it is preparing to start up. But it didn't continue.

Trying the other scanning application option 'Image scan!' immediately produces a 'Scan selector dialog' offering a choice between :

-Epson (unknown model) [epkowa:usb:001:004]
    -Epson (unknown model) [epkowa:interpreter:001:004]

That is the same choice as I had before changing the BIOS settings. The first option immediately provokes an Iscan message that it cannot send a command to the scanner.

But now when I select the second option - that is [epkowa:interpreter:001:004], I got a good scan. So that is some real progress. I don't understand on what basis I chose between 'usb' and 'interpreter' and the Image Scan application doesn't seem to have any gui settings to enable it to remember that choice.

This is not 100% repeatable. In 5 tries, I've had 3 success and two failures with 'unable to send a command to the scanner'. And sometimes the succesful attempt takes a long few seconds to come up with the choice of scanner. So communications with the scanner are not perfect.

Doesn't linux (Ubuntu) handle xHCI ? My BIOS also has an 'XHCI Hand-off' which by default is set to enabled. This should have permitted hand-off from xhci to ehci for those os which don't support xHCI. The motherboard doc also claims that the usb3 ports on the back panel can handle usb3.0/2.0/1.1 specs and the 2.0 ports can handle 2.0 and 1.1 so neither the BIOS nor the hardware should have provided an impediment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast