Thread: Thinking of installing Vista as guest for a neophyte

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thinking of installing Vista as guest for a neophyte

Greetings,

I have learned just the other day that my PC nephyte Vista challenged older brother, has had is machine compromised with some very bad results. After agreeing to go out and check out his problem, I though about this thread. From reading posts here and at the VirtualBox web site users do have vista running as a guest under karmic. I was hoping that those who have successfully installed vista as a guest could relate some of the trials, tribulations and gotchas that I would neet to be aware of.

His machine is a Dell desktop, I can't remember the model, but it is maybe 1 to 2 years old. Has plenty of ram (4GB I think). I did initially install AVG to keep him from virus's, but I don't think there is any anti spyware except what Dell/MS provided.

Tia,

Skaramanger
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Kubuntu 12.10 (do-release-upgrade)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thinking of installing Vista as guest for a neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by skaramanger View Post
    Greetings,

I have learned just the other day that my PC nephyte Vista challenged older brother, has had is machine compromised with some very bad results. After agreeing to go out and check out his problem, I though about this thread. From reading posts here and at the VirtualBox web site users do have vista running as a guest under karmic. I was hoping that those who have successfully installed vista as a guest could relate some of the trials, tribulations and gotchas that I would neet to be aware of.
    VMs will not (generally) have the same graphics capabilities as a native install, and will invariably perform a bit slower as well.

Apart from those limitations, people have been running Windows in VMs quite successfully, but you still have to treat them like any Windows install on its own box.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Thinking of installing Vista as guest for a neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    VMs will not (generally) have the same graphics capabilities as a native install, and will invariably perform a bit slower as well.

Apart from those limitations, people have been running Windows in VMs quite successfully, but you still have to treat them like any Windows install on its own box.
    David,

Thnx for you reply. I don't think he would like to lose the graphics capability. So he'll just have to deal with virus's and the rest. I installed avast and ran that. Time to go look for some foss malware/spyware remover.

Regards,
    skaramanger
    M2N-SLI with AMD Phenom II X4 940 8GB of 400Mhz 128bit DDR2 RAM, an Evga GTX560ti Video card Phoenix Bios Rev. 5001

Kubuntu 12.10 (do-release-upgrade)