Thread: Dell 1397 Wireless card not working with Live USB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Dell 1397 Wireless card not working with Live USB

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Windows 7 64-bit. It has a Dell 1397 Wireless card with Broadcom BCM 4312 hardware. This is proven by running lspci in Terminal. I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit and burned a disc of it. I used System>Administration>USB Startup Disc Creator to make a Live USB from a 4GB flash drive. I plugged it in and my computer booted into Ubuntu with no trouble. The only problem is that I can't connect to my wireless network. The problem is that no matter how I install the Broadcom STA driver, it just says that the driver is activated but not actively in use. I've used Synaptic Package Manager, Jockey, and even Terminal. I've tried running
    Code:
    sudo modprobe wl
    in Terminal, but nothing seems to happen. In Ubuntu, my computer acts as though it has no wireless card, but the wired connection is fine (except for the inconvenience of connecting with a cable). In Windows 7, the wireless connection is fine. Can anybody help me?
    I'm not a PC, I'm a human, and using Ubuntu was my idea.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Dell 1397 Wireless card not working with Live USB

Hi Thomas,
    After you've installed the Broadcom driver you need to restart before it can be used, but obviously this will just start another Live session when you're running from your USB stick which is no use. You'll need to do a hard disk install, install the restricted driver, then restart and it'll work just fine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

When I created the live USB, I made it persistent. I can prove that because I have changed some visual settings, and the changes were still applied in later boots. When I activate the driver and reboot, it still says that it is activated but not currently in use. If I try to reboot, the computer just boots into Windows, so I have to shut down and boot again. Maybe that is my problem. I might have to install Ubuntu, or would I?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello?

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain too well, even with persistence, the driver will not be activated after a reboot from a Live USB:

Quote Originally Posted by KingJulien View Post
    You'll need to do a hard disk install
    You need to install Ubuntu to hard drive, then install the driver, reboot etc and I promise it'll work then.
    Last edited by KingJulien; March 14th, 2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Remove ambiguity as to whether install referred to driver or OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have decided that I want to install Ubuntu. But, I don't want help right now because I am going to install when Ubuntu 10.04 comes out. I'll probably get some help then. Thanks for the advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good thread. This concerns me too.

Quote Originally Posted by King Julien
    You need to install Ubuntu to hard drive, then install the driver, reboot etc and I promise it'll work then.
    What if instead of using a liveUSB, I install linux to a usb flash drive as if it were a regular hard drive? Would I then be able to install drivers?